cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO modules gone after reboot, variables in limbo

Solved!
Go to solution

hello,

after reboot the cRio 9074 all my modules disappeared. Should be the 9870, 9871 and PB module.

I added some variables on the RT target, then built tha startup.exe and the PC main vi.

The PB module has only the power LED "on" and the other 2 modules don't show up in MAX at all.

I have to use RAD utility and play back an older image, then everything is back. But that does not help, as I can not alter the cRIO side of the software.

There seems to be some communications issue, as the PC main vi when run in Labvie sends a warning for a timeout variable, but when I click ok, it starts running. The newly created variable is updated from cRIO to PC host, but I have to run and deploy the vi that populates it on the cRIO so it would update on the PC main vi. The main vi does not seem to call it by itself.

The variable setup is with a shared variables referencs and read / write variable vis. But its working so far, only causes trouble when adding variables / things to the typedefs. It feels like the changes dont get populated. The vi thinks the variables are there, but they are not. Even though everythig gets deployed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,448 Views)

Hi Steffen,

some thoughts:

- cRIO modules don't show up in MAX, they are visible in your RT project

- what is a PB module?

- where are the shared variables hosted? Usually the cRIO should host them.

- did you create a RT exe in your project and deployed it from within the project?

General hint: I stay away from shared variables as they often provide hassle. Use other ways of network communication like UDP, TCP or network streams...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,444 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

- what is a PB module?

Perhaps/probably a Profibus module?!

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,420 Views)

PB-profibus. This means it has to run hybrid mode, needs FPGA. Maybe I should try a PB-Modbus converter, then I could run RT only.

maybe here is the answer:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Shared-Variable-Timeout-Explanation/td-p/3671910

some port not open? Firewall problems? There are abut 40 variables, it used to work. I only added 2.

10ms timeout in my application is too small, its a temperature process, slow moving, nothing time critical

shared variables are on the cRIO, then there is a loop that turns them into network shared vars. Then they make it to the host PC.

I built a startup.rtexe and deployed it. Then the modules disappear.

In remote devices in MAX you normally see your modules, under cRio, but they are gone.

das ist eine der Fehlermeldungen. Sind aber keine Sonderzeichen oder so dabei

−1950678941 An empty string is not a valid URL. If you want to reference the root container within a variable engine, you need to specify the path explicitly using one of the following URL formats: "[Variable Engine]://[Host Name]", "[Variable Engine]:", or "/".
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,414 Views)

Die Fehlermeldung erzählt doch gar nichts über Sonderzeichen, sondern dass du irgendeines deiner Shared Variable VIs mit einem leerem String aufgerufen hast. Wieso? kA, dazu müsste man deinen Sourcecode kennen...

---

The error message does not tell anything about "Sonderzeichen". It seems that you hand over an empty string to one of your shared variable VIs. But why? How shall we know without knowledge of your source code..

Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,406 Views)

in shared variable open connection vi it builds a string. Plus I read something about that error and that person got it sorted by removing "non english characters" . But it sounds more like the variables dont get populated/filled or changed not deployed to the cRio. So labview has the new shared value library but the cRIO the old one.

The strings look ok, has to be somewhere else. Maybe I have to put in a delay in the read cPCO real time loop until it starts reading.

Shared variable read all vi then gets that timeout error.

So one problem is the timeout problem. The other issue is cRio lost all modules after deploying new startup exe. Startup exe would be the compiled version of all that? Variables library and all the vis on the RT target? its about 5 MB, the FPGA bitfile 1.3 MB, PC host exe 1.5MB.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,383 Views)

You have to deploy your network shared variables manually to your cRIO from your LabVIEW project. These are not part of your executable (or rtexe) and are not updated by just transferring and building a new rtexe.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 7 of 20
(3,354 Views)

I will try that next Tuesday.

The FPGA bitfile should not be affected, the added variables are for the RT side? But the shared variables libraries are used by FPGA and by RT. So deploy variables, then compile everything and upload it?

But no idea, why they don'tshow up in MAX.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7gZSAS

paragraph 8.

I better check power supply and deploy, could have dropped out.

the IP adress, PC has 10.4.2.50 and cRIO has 10.4.4.130. Maybe I make the cRIO 10.4.2.xxx

Ansonsten, Guten Rutsch und vielen Dank!

Happy new year and thanks for your replies!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,346 Views)

still no luck.

The cRIO runs ok until I run RT Main.vi. After a10-20s it says connection lost. The cRIO CPU runs on 100% for another 20s or so, then goes down to 10%. Maybe I initialise the RTvis in series, not in parallel?

Also when I ftp into the cRIO there is some image file once it had this timeout.

After reinstating the last image with the RAD tool the cRIO is running fine again.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,328 Views)

I changed the Real Target Main vi so it initialises the serial modules in series not parallel. cRIO cPU load was less. But still, it lost connection to the cRIO. So I started to ftp into the error log. Then I noticed after some time the cRIO CPU  load was back to 60% and alas, my modules were back as well. So this would mean the FPGA starts again I guess and the cRIO kind of reboots?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,324 Views)