LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9068 Scan engine, EtherCAT configuration issue?

 

I would like to ask for help with what I presume to be a systems configuration issue, but I'll let you tell me (hopefully).

 

I'm trying to re-obtain control of Kollmorgen AKD drives, other etherCAT-aware devices. Late last year, my development computer suffered some breakdown which forced me to reinstall everything from top to bottom. This meant I lost synchronosization between the project on my laptop and the one on the target computer. In other words: My code used to work, now it doesn't.

 

The problems I'm having are many and varied, but I do believe they have the same, or closely related, causes - it's an illness with many symptoms. At the heart of it lies the scan engine, which often, but not always, refuses to enter active mode. Usually with a vague message that "the resource handle is not valid". I think this scan engine failure is due to some error with EtherCAT, either in the configuration of the master or the slaves. To that end, I have followed all the advice listed here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375592b.pdf (bottom p. 21).

 

I have formatted the target disk via MAX, and reinstalled the software, several times now. Once or twice I even seemed to have obtained control as per normal, when simple actions, such as starting the test panel for an axis and taking it for a test drive, cause something to break and freezing up the entire system - with reboots not allowing me to enter active scan mode again.

 

I noted the steps I took upon my last such re-set of the target:

 

  1. Format cRIO-9068 disk (c-modules: 9421, 9492, 9219, 9411)
  2. Install SW modules (LV2014 SP1 suggested base).
  3. Install vaious other modules like softmotion and EtherCAT communications.
  4. Reset configuration database in MAX.
  5. Connect to target, confirm that EtherCAT Master detects all devices (listed in new -> target and devices -> existing devices)
  6. Build project (debug enabled, typedefs disconnected).
  7. Deploy project to cRIO-9068 - Fails. [1]
  8. Reset config database, reboot target.
  9. Deploy project - Fails. [2]
  10. If at first you fail... - Fails. [3]
  11. Check installed modules, seems ok. [4]
  12. Reinstall all modules with the words 'RIO' or 'Scan' in them.
  13. Deploy again again - Success!
  14. Switch to active scan mode - LV hangs, forced quit. [5]
  15. Reboot target and host.
  16. Simple connect to target fails.[6] LV hangs, forced quit.
  17. Repeat 16-17 with similar results (something not to be triffled with, I've come to learn).
  18. Distributed System Manager shows target as 'Unconnected'.
  19. Attempt to compare project and system via utilities menu results in hang and forced quit.

This is where I would normally curse the appropriate god, reformat the disk and start over, trying a new approach or sequence of actions, but time was up and I had to get on a plane for home. 

I obviously need to go back very soon, so I hope you can help me out with any sort of insights or suggestions.

If you need any other information, please tell me.

 

Best regards,

Henrik

 

 

[1]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.02.07.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[2]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.06.52.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[3]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.09.41.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[4]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.13.52.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[5]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.27.13.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

[6]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.34.38.png

 

 

 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,711 Views)

The screenshots from above in proper resolution. Sorry.

 

[1]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.02.07.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[2]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.06.52.png

 

 

[3]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.09.41.png

 

[4]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.13.52.png

 

[5]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.27.13.png

 

[6]

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 17.34.38.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,680 Views)

Hello Ehlert,

 

try to install the NI-XNET software on your target, and try to update the version of Network Variable Engine to the version 14.0.1.

 

Let me know if that can solve your issue.

 

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,627 Views)

Here the link for the download: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-xnet-14.0/4863/en/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,621 Views)

Hi Ehlert,

 

Are you using exactly the same hardware,software and code before and after reinstallation of your develpment PC? I will take a further look at this from EtherCAT side and let you know any if there is any update tommorrow.

 

I think you are posting to a wrong place. You need to copy the question here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Motion-Control-and-Motor-Drives/bd-p/240 for more active answers.

Thanks.

 

Wendy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,611 Views)

 

Just making sure I get updates from here. Sorry for the spam.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,581 Views)

Hello again,

 

Sorry for the late reply, I just want to round this off.

We never really found out what the trouble was - could be hardware, could be software (most likely).

 

Whatever the cause, we ended up formatting the target completely, and buying a new dev/host computer. 

We're back on track now, but I hope to never encounter this again. Was very taxing.

 

Thank you all for the help and time.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,408 Views)

I want to make sure that I share the latest revision of the Getting Started with AKD EtherCAT® Drives and the LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module document.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,131 Views)