LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9053 NTP time synchronization

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a cRIO-9053 in LabView 2018 SP1 Real-Time environment.

I would like to use the NTP service to synchronize the cRIO-9053 clock. As PTP accuracy is not required, I chose NTP which is very popular on the internet and provides more than enough time accuracy for our application.
I followed these instructions to install the NTP service under Linux and everything worked fine:
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YIF2CAO&l=it-IT

In the "Additional information" at the bottom of that web page, you are asked to "desynchronize the time of the operating system from that of the Internet" otherwise the clock is driven by two sources.

Instructions for doing this are given here:
https://www.ni.com/en-gb/support/documentation/supplemental/21/use-ntp-for-timestamping-measurements...

I have determined that I am using a "Legacy installation" but when I try to "disable Linux OS Time Synchronization" I get an error from the configGen command. It appears that the "--setTKPluginConfig" switch is not recognized.

I suspect that the instructions I have found refer to a newer Linux image than the one in my cRIO but I have not found references to previous versions.

Has anyone had similar problems before? Any solutions? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,833 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author flavio05

I answer myself:

after further searching in the NI knowledge base and some testing on my software, I found a workaround. Just uninstall the "NI-TimeSync" component from the target (in my case a cRIO-9053). From then on, time synchronization can be done using the standard NTP service.

Message 2 of 3
(1,782 Views)

I have experienced the same issue.
I am working with a cRIO-9053 and LabVIEW 2018 Real-Time

I am using a GPS module 9467 for time synchronization and each time the method "Set Time (VI)" updates the system clock it introduces a delay that adds up each time.

I used your workaround and removed the NI-TimeSync Time Reference, the issue was fixed permanently.

Many thanks for sharing your solution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,615 Views)