LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO 9045: The host computer IP address is not on the target's allowable access list.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

got a new issue with my cRIO - whenever I try to connect to it from a LabVIEW-project it says

Access denied. The host computer IP address is not on the target's allowable access list.

Following the Support's suggestion from https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000wzOUCAY&l=de-DE, I formatted the cRIO's disk and reinstalled the software. After that I could connect again - until after the next power-cycle!

So whatever is causing this issue, it's not actually solved by the above suggestion. During reboot after reconnecting power, some configuration must be overwritten with invalid parameters I suspect. But I could not figure out how to avoid that.

Setup:

- cRIO connected via eth0, static IP

- I can ping the cRIO's address, see it in NI MAX (so the connection is fine basically)

Related, but not solving my issue:

- https://forums.ni.com/t5/FieldPoint-Family/IP-address-is-not-on-the-target-s-allowable-access-list/t...

- https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/IP-address-is-not-on-the-target-s-allowable-access-list/td-p/113361...

- https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/crio-9012-access-denied-ip-address-RT/td-p/575554

- https://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/Access-denied-This-host-computer-s-IP-address-is-...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,278 Views)

@MrFuppes

If you find the cRIO in NI Max, go to the 'System Settings' tab, do you have 'Enable LabVIEW Project Access' checked?

I would also try running the "Troubleshoot Remote System Discovery" to have it check your firewalls.

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,229 Views)

Hi Ben, thanks for your reply!

yup, 'Enable LabVIEW Project Access' is checked (nothing else) in NI MAX. Also, finding the device in NI MAX works fine (via Ethernet) - in shows up as "connected" on the system settings tab.

Would you have any suggestions regarding firewall configuration on the host PC? (Win10 Enterprise)

Software installed on the target looks as follows, with the OS being NI Linux Real-Time x64 4.14.146-rt67-cg-8.0.0f1-x64-139:

MrFuppes_0-1619160690682.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,217 Views)

...and a small addition: If I change the connection from static IP to a link local IP or from Ethernet to USB, I get the same error!

this cRIO seriously started to hate my PC...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,200 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MrFuppes

The solution was kind of unsatisfactory: a couple of reboots (power cycles), change to another Ethernet adapter on the host PC - done, works, can connect again to the cRIO from within my LV projects.

I have no idea what actually caused the problem (which is the unsatisfactory part), but I hope it stays this way.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,155 Views)

What do you mean "Ethernet adapter"?  How was the cRIO connected to your network?

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,144 Views)

The cRIO has to be in the same subnet address range as the network port on your computer is configured. Link Local address will only (sometimes) work if your computer network port to which you connect is also configured as link local address. But it has many potential gotchas so I try to avoid link local mode completely. NI-MAX often is able to detect the device, since the UDP broadcast to detect the device actually goes across subnet address ranges as long as there is no switch or router in between. But MAX then fails to properly connect to the device to query its local settings etc.

The LabVIEW project does not do UDP recognition at all. It simply tries to connect to the given address and if the network port on the computer is not assigned the subnet range matching the IP address of your cRIO, Windows will route the network packets all wrong and it will never go out of the port that is connected to your cRIO.

My new Dell computer has an additional hiccup. The Dell Plug & Pray port replicator that comes with it, consistently fails to initialize the network port after resuming from sleep or hibernation and leaves the network in an inactive state, despite ipconfig and everybody else showing the correct settings. I always have to explicitly Disable and Enable the network port in the Windows network control panel in order to get it working. So your computer may have some similar issues. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,138 Views)

Dear Bear & Rolf, thanks for your comments!

to clarify: by "Ethernet Adapter" I mean another physical adapter configured to use the same subnet / IP range. More precisely, I'm using USB-to-Ethernet adapters here, which normally works fine in my experience.

Of course the cRIO and the Ethernet adapter at the host were configured to use the same subnet / IP range. And it worked before. Now I rebooted the cRIO a couple of times, and used another USB-to-Ethernet adapter (same subnet, different IP), and it works again. Funny thing is: now the USB-to-Ethernet adapter which did not work before also works!

What also bugs me is the error message I got in the LV project. I mean it didn't just say "connection error", which I'd expect if there were trouble with the Ethernet adapter etc. In any case, this error could be more specific...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,131 Views)

@MrFuppes wrote:

What also bugs me is the error message I got in the LV project. I mean it didn't just say "connection error", which I'd expect if there were trouble with the Ethernet adapter etc. In any case, this error could be more specific...

Yes it could be. But let's be honest. Have all your programs 100% consistent and perfect error handling? Can you bet to put your hands in a fire if anybody can proof to you that you don't?

Exactly! 😁

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,126 Views)

Actually, it is kind of specific, I must admit. But it couldn't point me in a direction where to find a solution.

There's this 11 year old post

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/IP-address-is-not-on-the-target-s-allowable-access-list/td-p/113361...

but the ni-rt.ini file mentioned there doesn't seem to exist anymore on more recent cRIO platforms. At least I couldn't find it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,122 Views)