LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO 9014 - TCP 2012 Communication Problems

I am trying to setup reliable communications between my cRIO 9014 and my TCP 2012.  So far I have tried TCP and shared variables.  Both work great in the short term.  However, after a significant amount of time (several hours) of just communicating between the two and no user interaction, the LabVIEW application on the TCP 2012 locks up or mysteriously exits.  I get no error messages in either case.  The application on the cRIO 9014 continues to run just fine.

Has anyone successfully setup a reliable communications scheme between these two devices?  I have based all of my code on NI examples but I am transferring a little more data than the examples show (one 96 element DBL array, one 8 element DBL array, two 32 element BOOL arrays, two 9 element DBL arrays, one 4 element I32 array, and two 173 element BOOL arrays).  In my current code the server VI simply writes the arrays to network published shared variables.  The client VI simply reads these shared variables.  There is one shared variable per array.  I am trying to send the status of the IO on the cRIO 9014 plus process generated alarms to the TCP 2012.

I have tried adjusting the sending and receiving rates on both devices in the LabVIEW code.

Could these be a limitation of the CE operating system?  Is there another communications method that I can use such as CAN or RS-485?  How can I troubleshoot this problem?

I am using LabVIEW 8.2.1.  Screen shots of the server and client code are attached.  I did hear that there are some bugs in the Touch Panel Module for 8.2.1 but this seems to be more related to Windows CE to me.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,401 Views)

TLE,

What version of NI RIO are you currently using?  NI RIO 2.3.1 included several ethernet fixes for the cRIO-901x product line.  If you haven't already please download this driver and install it on your host machine.  From there you will need to re-install both LabVIEW RT 8.2.1 and NI-RIO 2.3.1 to the RT controller to get the fixes. 

Let us know how that goes.

Bassett

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,379 Views)
I am fairly certain the problem is with the TPC 2012.  I stopped the application on the cRIO 9014 and started the TPC 2012 application.  There was no change in the result, except that no data was received.  It still froze.  No errors returned.

I know that the TPC 2012 is a new product, have there been ANY successful and RELIABLE communication programs setup with the amount of data I am trying to transfer?

I am going to try RS-485 and see if that is any better.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,375 Views)
I'll trust your judgement then if you believe its the TPC instead of the cRIO controller.  You'll probably want the updates for the 901x just in case as well.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,369 Views)
The cRIO 9014 is also writing data to a CAN bus.  I can monitor the CAN bus on my desktop PC and it runs for days with no errors.  The only problem I am having is with the TPC.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,366 Views)
Hi, i have an PXI-8145 and a TPC-2012, i have used Shared Variables for the comunicactions and labview 8.5 with labview touch panel 8.5 for deveplopment, My TPC aplication when starts it "misteriusly quit" after 4 o 6 seconds. i get no error messages.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,225 Views)
When you say your application quits, does it shut down, or do your shared variables stop updating?  If you run this  application in the development environment, how long does it run for?  Also, how are you communicating with your Touch Panel?  It sounds like it might be a networking issue.  If that's the case, you will need to make sure that your touch panel is using an IP address that is reserved, so that its not being picked up by other devices. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,198 Views)
hi, my application shut down, more especific the screen of the application disappear. i'm using sharing variables to communicate with the PXI. in a computer (not in the TPC-2012) the application run perfectly, in the touch panel without the ethernet connection it runs ok, but with the ethernet connection it runs as long as 4 o 5 s. my ip its fine, i have a private Hub for the PXI, the Tpc-2012 and my laptop.

Thanks for your answer.

Jose Alberto Morales de los Rios
Development Engineer
Metalcar-Venezuela
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,184 Views)

It sounds like another device might be capturing the IP address used for the touch panel.  I would suggest pinging your touch panel after the application crashes, and then ftp it.  Make sure that when you ftp it you see the touch panel directory, and not that of another device.  Also, when you are not using an ethernet connection, what type of connection are you using?

How Do I FTP to the External CompactFlash or USB drive on a RT Controller?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,162 Views)
i'm pretty sure that is not IP problems, because it fails even whan its connected with a crossover cable to the PXI. it seems to be a problem with the shared variab le or the shared variable client. i have a shared variable that refresh the PXI information every 300ms, i think that variable is the one causing all the problems, but i cant eliminate it, i still need to refresh the information from the PXI.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,149 Views)