From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ-9189 connectivity issues.

Hello all, 

Just started using a cDAQ-9189 for the first time (have been using USB cDAQ’s for a while) and am having an issue that I'm sure someone has run into before... I have the unit plugged directly into my laptop docking station... I'm running LabVIEW 2017, and I have MAX 18.5. When I come in first thing in the morning and power everything up all is well. Now, if I have to go to a meeting and take my laptop, I'll stop my VI and unplug my laptop from the docking station, when I come back I no longer have connectivity. I can go into MAX and hit Refresh on the chassis, and the wheel will spin for a min or so and then it comes up with “The device is not reachable”. Obviously, I’m losing the connection. I can reboot the laptop and everything works again, but I’d like to know what’s happening and how to avoid it. …and reset whatever it is that’s losing the connection manually or better yet something I can do programmatically within my VI that will take care of the issue. I’ll go ahead and warn you that I’m not a LabVIEW architect or a comp-sci wizard by any stretch, but I am willing to learn! Much appreciation in advance to all!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,406 Views)

First I would check if you have any power saving "features" turned on that would disable USB ports.

Also, I think it is pretty logical that you'd have problems in that you have the device connected to the docking station, then remove the laptop, it would have to break connection.  It probably doesn't reconnect nicely when you redock the laptop.  I'm going to assume you weren't running the LabVIEW program at the time you undocked it.

Laptop docking stations are notoriously finicky at times with docking and undocking, and even when going to sleep.  I've been pretty fortunate with mine, but I have colleague with an identical laptop and docking station who is always having issues, just from the PC going to sleep.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,357 Views)

Good morning all.   

The cDAQ-9189 is a Ethernet connected device, not USB. (sorry for the confusion)

You assume correct, I stop my VI before unhooking the laptop.

My boss has the same setup as me, but he has issues all the time with his dock.  I, however, haven't had any issues with mine in over two years.  Go figure.

Thanks, C

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,329 Views)

chuggins1434,

You could try setting the cDAQ with a static IP address (if you have not gone through this path already), to avoid having the computer renegotiate the automatic IP between the chassis and the computer each time you plug it back in.

You can also find more recommendations here: Troubleshooting Network cDAQ Connectivity Issues

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,317 Views)

Thanks for the help!  I'll give it a try and report back. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,308 Views)

Ok, I read through the instructions  and started to set my unit with a static IP address, but when once it's done searching for available devices all of my devices are grayed out.  I'm hooked to my unit, MAX shows that it's connected and running... I opened up my VI and ran it, runs fine.  (closed the VI and LabVIEW back down as to not interfere with MAX)... searched again, still comes up grayed out.   Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,278 Views)

chuggins1434,

I am not sure I am fully understanding the process you're following.

After successfully setting a static IP in both your cDAQ and Laptop's adapter:

1. You open LabVIEW and run the VI successfully with the device showing up in NI MAX.
  2. Close LabVIEW
  3. Reopen LabVIEW and run the VI a second time and it shows disconnected from MAX?

Is this correct? Sounds like unexpected behavior to me, indeed.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,270 Views)

Hello Oscar, 

I can't set a static IP because when I go through the instructions you sent a link to,  I get to step 4 and in the Available Devices list, my unit shows up, but it's grayed out... so, I can't select it to Add Selected Devices.  It's in the list, there's a check mark in front of it, but there's nothing I can do with it due to it being grayed out.

I indicated that I could open LabVIEW and run my VI to show that it was hooked up and working.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you,

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,261 Views)

Hello Chad,

Steps 1-4 of the guide are meant to make sure the device can be properly recognized in NI MAX. If the chassis is already in NI MAX (you can see it under Network Devices), you should be able to change the IP setting there (as in step 5). I assume the chassis shows grayed out in the 4th step because it is already added to NI MAX (therefore, it can't be added again). Let us know if you can't interact with your device in NI MAX, it would be unexpected that LabVIEW can use it but NI MAX can't).

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,252 Views)