From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

building classes with labview (version 8+).

Just wondering if it is possible to build classes with labview and how this applies, starting a new project and want to design the software to be easily maintained.  I would like to be able to Inherit vi modules and possibly override portions of the inherited vi.  Also if anyone has any experience trying to impliment OOD features and can provide any feedback.  In addition are there any suggested standards to adhere to for labview development that might increase readability.  thanks Paul.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,339 Views)

svt4cobra6 wrote:
Just wondering if it is possible to build classes with labview and how this applies, starting a new project and want to design the software to be easily maintained.  I would like to be able to Inherit vi modules and possibly override portions of the inherited vi.  Also if anyone has any experience trying to impliment OOD features and can provide any feedback.  In addition are there any suggested standards to adhere to for labview development that might increase readability.  thanks Paul.

Come on now! Do you you really think you can get a good answer with such a broad question? Smiley Wink

If you are uisng LabVIEW 8.2 or better then LVOOP is what you want to look into.

LAVA has a forum devoted to OOP in LV and can be found here. If you are not uisng LVOOP then that site is your best resource for help.

At this link you will find a document that talks about what went into LVOOP.

If you are an old time OOP type you will probably be disapointed that the is no "call by refence" (yet) and you will have to "roll-your-own" if you want a design that uses Active Objects.

I believe there is a style guide built into the LV help.

Did I cover the main points?

Ben

BTW "LVOOP" = LabVIEW Object Oriented Programming and is often pronounced like it is a french word "la-voop".

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 4
(2,331 Views)
thanks for the information.  Yes unfortunately the question was very broad as I am an old time OOD programmer, C# but have not yet used labview although have used lab windows.  in quick review of labview it looks like there is no code other than G code (which I am not sure is yet).  The links provided look quite useful!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,321 Views)

svt4cobra6 wrote:
...I am an old time OOD programmer, C# ...there is no code other than G code ...

Do you mind if I mis-quote you on that?

SO that prompts me to re-tell another old war story. I was working for the Physics department at U of Pitt when one of the profeessors asked me "Ben, do you know LabVIEW?" I relpied "G, I don't know.". Within two years of that converstaion I realized I had made a pun.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 4
(2,318 Views)