From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

building a labview apllication to program a TI msp430

Anyone know what I need to do in order to get this to work??? I have created a VI to program a TI MSP430 using the labview driver that came with my elprotronics flash pro programer. The Vi works by calling a DLL file and it works fine until I try to make it a stand alone application. I am using Labview 7.1 Does anyone know why I cannot get this to work when I try to make it an application????
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,524 Views)
Do you get an error?

Jeff

"Phil T" <x@no.email> wrote in message
news:1147360209005-363842@exchange.ni.com...
> Anyone know what I need to do in order to get this to work??? I have
> created a VI to program a TI MSP430 using the labview driver that came
> with my elprotronics flash pro programer. The Vi works by calling a DLL
> file and it works fine until I try to make it a stand alone application. I
> am using Labview 7.1 Does anyone know why I cannot get this to work when I
> try to make it an application????

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,515 Views)
The error I get is the following "OpenInstancesAndFPAs:  No instances were opened succesfully" which is a function of the dll file so it appears as tho my vi when it has become an application is not calling the dll correctly. Hopefully this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,515 Views)
Hi Phil, I have to ask the obvious question first. The most common mistake with executables involves using relative paths based on VI paths. When those VIs get built into an executable, their paths change to be inside the .exe file itself, so you need to double-strip their paths. You can find more information here and here.

Is it possible you are reading function parameters out of an .ini file or something before you make your first dll call? Let's first exclude the possibility that the real error isn't occuring invisibly to us before the dll call.

There's another possibility as well: Do you have more than one version of the dll on your machine? Is it possible the built exe is searching for the dll and it happens upon an older version?
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,494 Views)

Jarod,

I am attaching the VI along with INI file as well as the DLL files that are needed to run this VI. I currently am running this vi from the C:\Temp folder where both the INI files and the DLL are located. The first thing this vi does is converts the INI file location to a string using the path to string function and then and then loads the string into the dll call function. When the VI runs in development mode you should see "OpenInstancesAndFPAs:  Success" in the Error out box which means it worked. However when I create the exe file and run it I get the following in the Error Box "OpenInstancesAndFPAs:  No instances were opened succesfully" it almost seems to mean that it is appending something to the file location and therefore is pointing to the wrong file location, But I cannot seem to figure out where or why???

Thanks,

Phil

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,486 Views)

Nevermind, I got it figured out 🙂 seems as tho there were more than just 1 dll files that I needed to add as support files. Thanks for the help.

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,478 Views)

I was exposed to such problem:

* in developement mode is OK

* error (impossible to open a new instance) in build app

Additional DLL must be included in build - "MSP430FPA1.dll"

API DLL - 1.22 Mb

Thanks for posts !!!

P.S.

I used the latest ones (attached):