From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[bug] LabVIEW crashes when editing an XY Graph

Earlier, I went in to edit an XY graph that was part of the DMC LabVIEW UI Suite.  I had a misclick and was surprised when LabVIEW hard crashed. I tried to replicate with other standard XY graphs and was unable to.  I don't know what was unique about this graph produced by DMC.  Regardless, thought I'd post.

Steps to replicate:

1. Create a new VI and add the DMC XY Graph

01.png

2. Right click on the graph and do Advanced -> Customize

3. Mouse over the Plot Legend array until you can select a single element inside of the array.

03.png

4. Drag that element outside of the array.

04.png

5. Release element.  LabVIEW will crash.

05.png

Additional info:

LabVIEW 2018 32 bit f2 patch

Windows 10 Professional, Version 1803

DMC XY control is attached.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,184 Views)

What do you mean when you say you were not able to replicate it?  It sounds like the issue might be in the DMC Suite, try installing the latest update of LabVIEW, or maybe try it on a different computer and let us know how it went.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,133 Views)

I mean that I was unable to replicate it with other graphs.  As in following the exact same steps with other graphs did not cause the crash.

It is clearly something the DMC suite did with their graph, but that also means there's an option somewhere that they enabled / changed which allowed for this behavior.

As for trying on a different computer or updated version of LabVIEW, you're welcome to test it yourself. I included the offending control, as well as clear instructions on how to replicate it in the original post.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,121 Views)

You should contact DMC and link them to this posting. I don't think that anyone else would want to mess with their source IP.

And, while the toolkit is free, DMSs terms of use clearly asks you not to redistribute.  So, ping a moderator and have the control attached stripped down please.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,107 Views)

Jeff,

I thought of that before posting and double checked the webpage I linked before hand.  The exact quote is:

"We simply require that you do not re-distribute the toolkit itself."

This is hardly a redistribution of the toolkit.  As for messing with their source, they also explicitly state that is OK.

Message 5 of 11
(3,099 Views)

Can reproduce the crash in LabVIEW 2018 64bit.

Curiously, if you try to customize the Plot Legend itself, the crash does not occur. Only when you are customizing the graph control. You just have an empty array. See below.

mcduff

No crash if you pull out the plot indicator when directly customizing the Plot LegendNo crash if you pull out the plot indicator when directly customizing the Plot Legend

Message 6 of 11
(3,091 Views)

@mcduff  a écrit :

No crash if you pull out the plot indicator when directly customizing the Plot Legend

Hello mcduff,

How can you do to customize the plots legend ?

Cordialement,

Julien V.

[FIRST]

[LabVIEW Programming]

[FIRST]

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,826 Views)

@Julien_V. wrote:

@mcduff  a écrit :

No crash if you pull out the plot indicator when directly customizing the Plot Legend

Hello mcduff,

How can you do to customize the plots legend ?

1. Select the Graph Control.
  2. Choose Customize Control.
  3. In the Customize Control window, select the legend.
  4. Go to the menu and choose Customize Control.

mcduff

Message 8 of 11
(2,811 Views)

Yeah ! 🎉

I've always used right click and local menu.

In this case, I can't customize legend.

Thanks !

Cordialement,

Julien V.

[FIRST]

[LabVIEW Programming]

[FIRST]

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,784 Views)

In pictures, not sure what is going on.

1. Select Plot
  2. Choose Customize control
  3. In Customize Control Window, Select Tweezers
  4. Select Legend
  5. Choose Customize control
  6. You should have a legend window.

Select plot, choose Customize ControlSelect plot, choose Customize ControlIn Customize window, change to tweezersIn Customize window, change to tweezersSelect Legend, Choose Customize ControlSelect Legend, Choose Customize ControlLegend in a customize control window.Legend in a customize control window.

mcduff

Message 10 of 11
(2,782 Views)