LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken vi shows no error

Hi everybody,

I got some vi's break that it's callers after changes. For example if I place an open wire it breaks the vi and it's callers as expected. But if I delete that broken wire the vi isn't broken any more but the callers including the main vi are still broken. The error list of the caller shows no error. If I close everything and reopen the main vi everything is fine. This makes work with LV very inconvenient especially if you open many windows.

I tried saving the vi with a different name and copying its block diagram to a new LV 8.0.1 vi- still the same problem.

I'm using LV 8.0.1 on a linux machine (Suse 10.0). A big part of the application was programmed in LV 70, then transferred to LV 71 and now to 8.0.1.
Has anybody an idea?

Thanks in advance, Clemens
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,546 Views)

Hello Clemens,

I have also seen this in LabVIEW for Windows (7.0 and 7.1) with VIs that got some improvements in 7.1 and were saved for previous to have that functionality in 7.0, too. Then the 7.0 VIs got some enhancements and then got used in 7.1. Later on (again after having made further enhancements in 7.1) the VIs ware again saved for previous ...

This scenario took place on several PCs, some of them having LabVIEW in German, others the English version installed. Regrettably I could never reproduce a broken run arrow. So there is no way to predict when it happens to you.

But in LabVIEW for Windows you can easily circumvent to close all windows and get rid of a "wrong" broken run button by holding down the "Control" button and left-mouse-button-clicking the broken run button.
This makes LabVIEW recompile this VI and update the appearance of the run button. (I hope this also applies to LabVIEW for Linux?)

This is useful to circumvent to close LabVIEW and allows you to continue working with your VI and window arrangement.

By the way: Holding down "Control" and "Shift" and left-mouse-button-clicking the run button will compile all VIs in memory. This is a good idea for a tree of VIs that strange-behave like yours. I have come to the impression that a compile of the entire VI hierarchy is a good idea when observing unexpected behaviour with quite old code.
Be aware that all VIs in memory needs to be saved after the recompile. If you quit LabVIEW without saving the hierarchy, you had better saved the time of the recompile.

Hope this helps, Guenter

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,519 Views)
Hi Guenter,

thanks for the tip. Yes, that applies also for Labview on Linux and works in most cases even if it takes a while. Unfortunately Labview crashes sometimes when doing this.

I'll probabely have to live with that and create often a backup...

Regards,
Clemens
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,504 Views)