LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bitmap distortion on panels in Windows CE Touchpanel app

I have ported a Touchpanel app running in Windows CE 5.0 from Labview 2010 to Labview 2011.

In LV 2010 the bitmap images pasted on the panels appear normally in the compiled executable.

In LV 2011 there appears to be a distortion which smashes the bitmaps vertically.

The vertical smash appears to be less if I put the bitmap image at the top of the panel, getting worse as the bitmap is moved lower.

This is all static stuff - I use Edit, Copy picture to clipboard, and paste the clipboard image right onto the panel.

I tried lots of stuff including: possible settings for the VI Properties (rescale with windows size, centered, maximized etc.) with no change.

My touchpanel screen is 640 x 480.

I tried setting the Windows CE Build properties to 16 bits or 24 bits. I tried the scale factor 1 and 2. No luck.

The project Bitmap Issue (attached) is a very simple VI showing the problem reliably.

As a second workaround I tried a Picture indicator and reading the bitmap file into it. I read the bitmap file into the Picture indicator in my development system, and set it the default using Data Operations. Compiled it into the exe and ran it on WinCE - it shows the correct bitmap for about 1/4 second then erases it. I added logic to read in the file from a .bmp and display it, it also erases the Picture indicator after 1/4 second leaving a white Picture indicator.

Can anyone help with this stuff ? I need to release an executable soon and cannot think of a workaround that will suffice.

It looks a lot like a bug in the Windows CE cross-compiler.

Images of the screens are included in the ZIP file (attached) under Images, XP is how it's supposed to look, CE has the smashed down bitmap.

Thanks,
Denveral

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,920 Views)

Additional things that I found out about this problem:

Apparently it is best to locate the panel objects so that the pixel origin (grey diamond with lines coming out in x & y directions) is in the upper left corner of the panel. This seems to affect the panel distortion when running in Windows CE.

Once this is done the bitmap images can be predistorted in the development system to make them look better when the executable is running in Windows CE. This is annoying because the images look distorted in the development system. Kind of hard to control the amount and type of predistortion, trial and error is what I have been doing.

I recommend using only Windows XP OS on the touchpanels the Windows CE cross compiler is a lot of trouble...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,913 Views)

Al,

Bitmaps sometimes tend to yeild unexpected behavior.  You may try using a jpg or png file.

If you must use a bitmap, you may need to use an advanced video driver.  You can read more about it here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8483A1A765455ACF862571CB005A7D44

Daniel

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,902 Views)