From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bill printing on a indicator

greetings everyone !!

here i would like to implement bill printing through labview which is an integral part of an application. I've attached an front panel which gives some idea of what i want to do and also what was my problem too..we can observe text overlapping in the string indicator where there should be some space gaps and straight alignments to look good right !! so.. i have to set offset values to avoid the text overlapping for that how can i do that ., i mean how can i know the best possible offset values to arrange billing in nice alignment ??
thanking you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,558 Views)

What is "bill" printing?

You didn't attach the front panel you mentioned, so maybe that would have helped explain what you are trying to do.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,554 Views)

@ivanjoel wrote:

. I've attached an front panel ...

You have not attached anything.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,553 Views)

greetings everyone !!

here i would like to implement bill printing through labview which is an integral part of an application. I've attached an front panel which gives some idea of what i want to do and also what was my problem too..we can observe text overlapping in the string indicator where there should be some space gaps and straight alignments to look good right !! so.. i have to set offset values to avoid the text overlapping for that how can i do that ., i mean how can i know the best possible offset values to arrange billing in nice alignment ??
thanking you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,552 Views)

You do know what LabVIEW means, don't you?  Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench.  It is not a "general-purpose Programming Language", which means that some "general purpose programs" (like creating pretty billing statements) are not its Primary Task.

However, with a little work and ingenuity, you can "fake it".  Here are several possibilities:

• Write a Report.  If you have the Report Generation Toolkit available, you can easily create an HTML or Excel Report (you can also create a Word Report, but that seems to be a bit more difficult).
  • Be more creative with LabVIEW's String Controls and Functions, taking into account some of their limitations.  If you want nice columns, consider a "Left" and "Right" part of the output, where "Left" is the Description String ("Available Balance") and Right is the Value (numeric, usually, but you could make it strings).  I strongly urge you to learn to use "Format Into String" for all of your Value strings and not the simpler conversion functions.  To keep Values aligned, make sure you right-justify everything, and print with an appropriate number of digits after the decimal point.
  • You can simplify things by having only two output strings -- a multi-line Description String, and a multi-line Value String.  Now you only have two String Controls to worry about spacing so that everything is visible (make them wide enough), everything aligns (align the two controls), and nothing overlaps (space them appropriately so they don't overlap).

See if this helps.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,541 Views)

Well, attach the VI instead if a truncated picture. (Why is there a FOR loop?)

If you want perfect character alignment, use a fixed width (monospaced) font (Courier, Consolas, terminal, etc.) and defined size. Now you can resize your text indicator for an exact number of rows and columns and you can place any given character at any given exact location by just unserting the right amount of spaces and linefeeds.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,537 Views)