cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to get exponential decay of signal

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Sir / Madam

i had a question that i have a waveform signal i need to find exponential decay and damping  of the signal. here i have multiple options but i  get different results.

calculating damping is important

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,644 Views)

Hi,

it is a little hard to be sure what you really want. My best guess would be the attached VI snippet.

Sometimes a small sketch helps the general understanding Smiley Happy

Regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,590 Views)

i just want to calculate damping factor   if u help me it would be nice i am quite confuse in this matter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,585 Views)

Repeating basically the same sentence as an explanation is not really helping.

At least link to the algorithm you want to apply or create a sketch as an explanation. If you want to get help on your problems please provide the necessary information.

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,579 Views)

I think the question here is whether you want to measure the damping of the signal directly (if your waveform more or less looks like an exponential waveform) or if you are interested in the decay of the envelope signal of your waveform (is it a sawtooth signal or other periodic signal that gets damped as function of time?)

In the first case you can use the Exponential Fit VI directly, in the other case you need to pre-process your signal first (like calculate the envelop signal).

So if you can post a VI with actual waveforms and an explanation of what you try to measure this forum can probably better help you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,519 Views)

Double posting... solved 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,504 Views)

actually that was before your solution i posted with wrong title then i changed and created a new thread.  But i am using your way of getting exponential decay hilbert method that was reall helpful  but last issue with that is how to calculate damping this is the sole purpose of getting exponential delay

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,474 Views)
Solution
Accepted by deutchland

@deutchland wrote:

actually that was before your solution i posted with wrong title then i changed and created a new thread.  But i am using your way of getting exponential decay hilbert method that was reall helpful  but last issue with that is how to calculate damping this is the sole purpose of getting exponential delay

Just add the exponential Fit to the Hilbert Transform Data.

Damping.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by deutchland

thank u i was trying in a different way thats why i was un able to get right damping value thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,454 Views)