From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(beginner) How to run IE window from LabVIEW?

(Or similarly, Excel.) For example, I would like to be able to run an HTML help file from LabVIEW. No luck with the "System Exec" VI, and I don't know much about ActiveX.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,204 Views)
A great answer lies in a response to a similar question, posted by Greg McKaskle about five months ago:

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RNAME=ViewQuestion&HOID=506500000008000000B0140000&ECategory=LabVIEW.LabVIEW+General

In case the link doesn't work for any reason, the title of the initial question post was "finding default web browser". A search in the Developer Exchange or on the ni.com support site should bring it up.

I was able to open up a test HTML file on my Windows system using the argument (no quotes) "C:\windows\readme.htm" as the input URL.

By the way, System Exec will work, but it takes some playing sometimes and it isn't as bulletproof and platform-independent as the VI referenced in the post above. I was able to get my mac
hine to fire up the same test HTML file as above using this (no quotes) as an argument to System Exec:

"c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe c:\windows\readme.htm"

Regards,
John Lum
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(2,204 Views)