From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto update typedef not working in LabVIEW 2009

I was creating a type def for a customized button control and trying to figure out what action went with each of the 6 different picture images.  In the process, I found that the only way I could get my VI to auto-update the control was through using a strict typedef.  The auto update from typedef was selected, and the VI would be broken everytime I went to modify it until I saved and closed the control, but the control on the VI would not be auto updated.  I would have to replace the control to activate the change (similar to what I would need to do if the control was configured as a control and not a typedef)  This may be a bug that needs to be looked into, but I don't know where to make a bug report.

I did find the solution to which picture image went to which action, the help files only explained 4 images.  I'll post what I found here just for reference.  The images are in the following order on the right click menu:

1 2 3

4 5 6

With the following explanations for each:

1. False Case

2. True Case

3. True-to-False Transition Case (time between mouse click and the release of the click)

4. False-to-True Transition Case

5. Mouse Hover Case when False

6. Mouse Hover Case when True

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,493 Views)

A type definition only defines the data not the appearence. If you turn on the help window and float over your wire with the wiring tool your will see the data in the wire. Please note that there is not indication of what each image of teh boolean looks like. If it did each of your boolean wires would be carrying along a lot of bagage that I am glad is not there.

A Strict Type def also includes the appearence.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,489 Views)

Then that makes sense.  I'm currenlty only dealing with the appearance, I haven't dug into the Block Diagram on this one yet.  I was trying to get the appearance of the button to act correctly first, but I didn't have a good explanation of which image state did what.  Each time I tried to change it, I thought it would update on the Front Panel with the "auto update" checked.  At one point yesterday I did have the right images on the right states, but didn't see the change because it was only a typedef.  I'll keep it as a strict typedef and am glad to hear that it was with how little I understand these custom controls when used as a visual control.

We definitely do not want the image traveling inside the Block Diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,477 Views)
You should also be aware that the default data of the control is not updated automatically either. I know this is true for a regular typedef and I believe this applies to strict typedefs as well.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,465 Views)
Yes, but that is an item you can change on the Front Panel and set as the default for that particular VI.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,452 Views)

astromike wrote:

Then that makes sense.  I'm currenlty only dealing with the appearance, I haven't dug into the Block Diagram on this one yet.  I was trying to get the appearance of the button to act correctly first, but I didn't have a good explanation of which image state did what.  Each time I tried to change it, I thought it would update on the Front Panel with the "auto update" checked.  At one point yesterday I did have the right images on the right states, but didn't see the change because it was only a typedef.  I'll keep it as a strict typedef and am glad to hear that it was with how little I understand these custom controls when used as a visual control.

We definitely do not want the image traveling inside the Block Diagram.

Here is my Nugget on Type defs. There may be something in there that can help you. At the tail end I mention default values and ways to handle them.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,450 Views)
I'll keep the Nuggett in mind.  I don't plan on using this control/typedef for anything other than a custom GUI button right now.  I have used the strict typedefs for transferring structures around, but haven't had the need for using default values in them, yet.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,445 Views)