LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoyance: event data node disconnected from event structure (floating)

Hi, Everyone:

Occasionally (too occasionally for me to notice a pattern), the event data node disconnects from the event structure.  As far as I know, it's still connected data-wise, but physically floating like a terminal.  How do I make it stick to the event structure again?

I'm using LV 2009 right now, but I've seen this behavior in LV 2012 as well.  Haven't run across this 2013 - yet.

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,661 Views)

I'm guessing that this a feature (or unintended behavior) that someone added to the structure at some point and you're somehow triggering a flag which causes it to happen. I don't remember ever running across it during actual developement, but there were some conversations about it on LAVA some years back:

http://lavag.org/topic/6271-whats-wrong-with-this-picture/

http://lavag.org/topic/3037-detachable-event-data-nodes/

(2,652 Views)

Hmmm, like one of the thread's OP, I don't have that DetachableStructurePartsEnabled=TRUE flag in the ini file for any of the installations that I use.  Weird.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,635 Views)

There go ten minutes that I'll never get back.  Now I want required outputs...

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,629 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Now I want required outputs...

I don't know if I do.  I mean when inlineing a VI unwired terminals can perform something like a reverse constant folding, where code is removed because the output isn't needed.  I guess I don't mind it being a feature, just as long as it didn't default to on for all outputs.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,623 Views)

I don't really want them, I just want to see how it was done.  I should have been more clear.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,606 Views)

WOW! I didn't know you could do that on purpose! The only time I ran across it was when opening old code sometimes. Here I thought it was some sort of dire bug that was going to bring a quick and horrible death to my code...

But it's a feature, Huh...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,598 Views)

Well it is quite easy to do with an XNode, but it doesn't act like you would want using this method.  The XNode Ability GetTerms defines the terminals for the XNode.  In there you can say if a terminal is an input or not, and if it is required or not.  If you say not an input, and required, the help shows the terminal as required...but you can still run the VI if it isn't wired so it only appears as requried.  Outputs can also be optional with this method.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,593 Views)

Just to be clear, since people apparently didn't read the thread closely enough - my understanding is that the INI key is not real, but was just a joke. I still think there is a reasonable chance that this is a feature someone purposefully put in and it's getting triggered somehow accidentally (e.g. something in NI's code is modifying the status flags on the structure without taking this into account).

(2,578 Views)
Oh shazbat... (in memory of Robin Williams)

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,568 Views)