From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

analog quadrature

Hello,

Has anyone done any analog quadrature angular encoder work?  The LabVIEW examples appear to only reference TTL type square wave counters to handle the encoders.  The device I'm going to be working with is a Heidenhain Encoder RCN 729, with two sine wave outputs.  I'm guessing I'd use the analog-in function on my board to sample the voltages, and an arctan function to get an incremental position, but I'm really at a loss to determine phase lead or lag if I'm only grabbing two points at a time.  (Grabbing a bunch is not an option nor is post processing, the data will be used for a shut down if a certain value is exceeded).

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,096 Views)

Nick,

I think you are on the right track.  The analog input is certainly the way to get the current encoder values.

If the encoder produces more than one cycle or the direction of motion is unknown you cannot detemine a unique position from a single reading.  (Digital encoders also cannot).  You need at least two sequential data points.  Use a shift register to store the previous data and compare that to the current data.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,092 Views)