LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

allow editing front panel, deny access block diagram

Hello there,
my problem:
I want to allow users of my vi's to edit the objects on the front panel like changing default values, position, size, names and so on.
So they are given the oportunity to adapt the front panel to their needs. But they should not be allowed to enter and edit the block diagram.
When I use the password option it is not possible to change the above mentioned properties anymore and I have to enter the password and give them acces to the whole vi.

Have you got an idea for a simple solution?

Thanks,

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,144 Views)
Hi ,
a work around for what you are asking would be that you creat a menu item form where a seperate screen is opened where you give a user interface for all the features you want to modify of the front panel,so when ever the user wants to change,he can go to this screen and change the front panel{MAKE USE OF THE PROPERTY NODES FOR THE CHANGE OF THE DEFAULT VALUE,POSITION,SIZE ,NAME ,ETC}.
the Block diagram you have any how used the password protect so you need not worry.
Hope this helps
cheers
vicky
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,138 Views)
Hi Christian

One way to achieve this is to have a configuration area on your front panel.
The tab control is quite handy for this sort of thing. On one tab place your normal GUI and on another place your config controls to allow defaults, sizes, names etc to be set.
You will also need some way of saving and retrieving your setup.
This link discusses some ideas for that.

Good luck
Neil
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,138 Views)
@ Vicky, @ Neil:
Thanks for your replies. For smaller applications it may work as you described.
But I have some 150 objects on the Front Panel to be edited. That would mean I'd have to create
property nodes for all of them with the posibility for changing name, position, size, positions after decimal point, etc.
Then I would have to save it into a file. I think this is to much effort. It would be
very easy if NI provided a password protection for the opening and editing of the block diagram.
That would be it. But most probably this is not requested by many users, either your are a programmer
or you are a user of the vi, but nothing inbetween.

Thanks again,
Christian
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,097 Views)