LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

agilent 34970a error -410

Hello All, 

I am having an issue with the Agilent 34970A data logger and its stability with LabVIEW.  It seems that this can happen at random times, but as the program is running an error pops out of the Agilent Read.vi.  The error is that a timeout may have occured at VISA Read in the Read.vi.  I have attached the Read.vi, and please be aware I have modified it from the original. I do not even remember what the original set up was.  The errors that appear on the Agilent device are "-410 Query Interrupted" and "-103 Invalid separator"

Additional info:

RS-232 connection, with serial-to-usb adapter

All the baud, parity, etc match up correctly

The error happens randomly, the program has run for 2 days straight without error, but sometimes runs 5 minutes and receives this errors.

Once these errors occur, the data logger stops scanning for data. At this point, stability of the program is needed as I look to go for 24/7 operation.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,847 Views)

Hi,

have you tried to do a loopback test to verify that you are getting the right commands in from your output? you can find how to do this from the following article:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4049/en

Also, some other troubleshooting tips are included.

Daniel G.
Semiconductor & Wireless
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,830 Views)

@ERLab wrote:

Hello All, 

I am having an issue with the Agilent 34970A data logger and its stability with LabVIEW.  It seems that this can happen at random times, but as the program is running an error pops out of the Agilent Read.vi.  The error is that a timeout may have occured at VISA Read in the Read.vi.  I have attached the Read.vi, and please be aware I have modified it from the original. I do not even remember what the original set up was.  The errors that appear on the Agilent device are "-410 Query Interrupted" and "-103 Invalid separator"

Additional info:

RS-232 connection, with serial-to-usb adapter

All the baud, parity, etc match up correctly

The error happens randomly, the program has run for 2 days straight without error, but sometimes runs 5 minutes and receives this errors.

Once these errors occur, the data logger stops scanning for data. At this point, stability of the program is needed as I look to go for 24/7 operation.

Query Interupted means you are sending a command to the instrument before it has had time to respond to the previous query.

This is a timing issue.

Invalid separator means your command has a syntax error

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,828 Views)

nyc,

Thanks for the response.  The invalid separator only happens when the -410 error kills the program.

I have adjusted timing , and am also reading the bytes at port to specify the correct amount for the VISA Read.

I am also currently running the program, and I still get the -410 error intermittently (again, random).  However, after adding these time delays and bytes at port reading, the program does not kills itself, and this allows it to run continuously without having to restart (although I do lose a data point sometimes from it).

I would like to know your opinion on the length of time of these delays, they currently sit at 0.5 sec each.  Can you also comment on the synchronous vs asynchronous VISA Write/Reads?  I have read the whitepaper and tutorials from NI, but cannot come to a conclusion as to what is appropriate. 

I am attaching a picture of my current Read.vi in operation, with specific points probed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,822 Views)