LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advantages of creating an installer?

I was curious what the advantages would be of creating an installer for my applications.  I have not been creating them because I am the only programmer at this facility and I take care of all program installations.  I could see an advantage if I were not the person doing the installation.  Are there any other advantages that I am not aware of?
Ron Deavers, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,663 Views)

This could be a long list...

But just a couple from me:

1) Save time (install all NI support & app at once)

2) Rev control and certainty all installations are identical.

LabVIEW 5.0 seems so long ago...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,661 Views)
The installer is a must if your application is going into a brand new pc or to a new customer. But if everything you touch already has the runtime engine I don't see the big deal in not having an installer.
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,644 Views)

I do all the LV programming and most of the software installation at this site.  Without installers there is no way my boss would let me go on my annual electronics free vacation.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,632 Views)

Wayne.C wrote:

Without installers there is no way my boss would let me go on my annual electronics free vacation.

Can I work for your boss? He sounds easy to please. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
(2,627 Views)

Thanks for the input.  Most of my applications go onto pcs that are reused for LabVIEW testing so they have the runtime already installed.  Also, all my applications are used for testing onsite and do not go to customers.

Ron Deavers, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,616 Views)

It's a good way to "freeze" the versions that you are creating.  So if you place each version in a safe place, it is easy for you to revert to them.

Having or not having the Run-Time Engine should not influence your choice.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,610 Views)

Saverio,

If we have an opening you'll be the first to know.  He is actually very easy to please.  All I have to do is accomplish the impossible for $0 and in no time.  Smiley Very Happy

Lots of late nights and weekends.  But when I'm on vacation with my family or doing my 'unplugged' trip to the woods of northern Michigan, he leaves me alone.

Message 8 of 8
(2,606 Views)