From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding white noise to signal

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to allow a user to add white noise to a signal, the idea is that the user would enter the noise ratio in db which I would then apply to a signal measurement before displaying it. I looked at the add gaussian white noise vis in LV but I am not sure how to go from the noise ratio that the user enters to the seed and standard deviation inputs for the function.

I tried to look online but all I found was ways to add noise based on amplitude, is there a way to convert from the db ratio to amplitude given that I do not know the amplitude information of my original signal before hand since it is being sampled in real-time.  Any information about this would be greatly appriciated i realize that I might be mis-understanding the way signal/noise processing really works.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,857 Views)

Well, you certainly need to know the signal amplitude if you want to create a specific signal to noise ratio.

Are you going to add a random value to each point of signal or will you have a block of signals at a time? You could set the amplitude of the noise based on the average of some previous values or base it on the full scale range of the receiver.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,853 Views)

dB is a dimensionless relative measure, you need a reference intensity in order to calculate it

Often times in electronics you see things referenced to 1 mW,  called dBm = 10 log10(P / 1mW), so P = 10^(dBm/20)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm 

For sound dB SPL = 20 log10(I / I0), I (intensity) is usually expressed  Pascalls  I0 is nearly always referencec to human hearing threshold, which is 2 * 10^-5 Pa.   Multiply by your mic gain to convert to from pressure to volts.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,835 Views)

For the first implementation, I will have the full signal provided to me which I will then allow the user to adjust the level of noise they want to add to it. 

So form this would i be correct if I try to get the average amplitude of the signal full signal and use that for the ratio?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,798 Views)

You or your user need to decide if that is "correct." It seems like a reasonable starting point to me.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,791 Views)