LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add a file to an llb inside a sub library

I need to add a file to an llb.  The llb belongs to a sub-lvlib.  (ie when I open an existing file from the llb I see [library name]:[library name]:[vi name])

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this done.   When I look at the llb with llb manager the new vi is in the llb.  When I open the sub-lvlib, the top level lvlib opens, and the llb appears as a virtual folder to the sub-lvlib, and the new vi is not shown.  I have a guess at what I need to do, but before I spend more than an hour trying to do it, I'd like to run it by you folks.

1) remove the sub-lvlib from the top lvlib

2) remove the llb from the sub-lvlib

3) convert the llb to a directory

4) create a new lvproj and add all the files of the llb to resolve conflicts

5) create the updated llb

6) add the llb back into the sub-lvlib

7) add the sub-lvlib back into the top lvlib

I know I'll struggle with creating the updated lvlib's.  I have an lvproj for each of the lvlib's, I think I originally needed the lvproj's to help resolve the conflicts before creating the lvlib's the first time.

Maybe I shouldn't need to remove the sub-lvlib from its parent before adding the updated llb?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,525 Views)

Beaver 

So let me make sure I am understanding what you are asking, what you are tying to do is add a library to an existing library. It seems like the process you described should work. I would recommend trying it and if it doesn't compile then we can look at the possible causes. 

Good luck

Beau H

BeauH
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,498 Views)
I guess a more basic question is: Why are you using an LLB? They are a good place to store your Vis.
Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,490 Views)

Beau:

I'm trying to add a vi to an existing LLB.  The LLB belongs to a Library.  That Library belongs to another Library.

Mike:

I almost pre-empted your question when I submitted the original post ... the majority of the LLB comes from a third party, and that's why I'm continuing to use one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,475 Views)

Hey Beaver,

Hopefully I have a good grasp of what you are trying to accomplish but if I have made any wrong assumptions please let me know.  A nice way of adding a VI to an existing LLB is to simply open up the VI in Labview and then select "Save As".  When prompted for a save location navigate to the LLB file and save a copy of the VI within the LLB.  At this point you must navigate to the Project Explorer for your project which contains the 2 nested "lvlib" files or simply open up the top library file by double clicking it in windows explorer.  Right click on the sub-library and select Add»File.  Navigate into the LLB file and you should be able to select any VI contained within the LLB.  Hope this helps.

Justin D
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support/
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,462 Views)