LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZOOM

@Yamaeda wrote:

NIquist wrote:

You don't need to zoom the block diagram any more than you would need to zoom the text in Visual Studio or Eclipse.  True, some new monitor resolutions make me grab reading glasses. But I need them for both LabVIEW AND Python/C++ coding.  I prefer to grab those glasses and have all the fine resolution and extra screen real-estate any day of the week rather than waste time zooming and panning around.  Note that I LOVE zooming and panning around in Blender3D, SolidWorks and any other application that actually benefits from those editing features. 

Your analogy fall flat when you realize you can zoom C++ and that it's not fixed at 8 pixel fonts, which is basically the case for LV (since the blocks can't be resized). Zooming out is not so much of an issue. Although it can improve overview the pure size of things makes is impractical (and close to impossible) to work and wire zoomed out. Zooming in to easier connect things on the other hand ... It has nothing to do with being a nooblet and all to do with having a good IDE.

Implying that only noobs would benefit from a zoom function, when you happily use it in other programs, is hypocritical and elitist.

I guess the argument can be used the other way around, only n00bs use zoom in Blender. 😛

/Y

The analogy is perfectly sound, you are just completely missing the point.  I never said that text-based editors can't zoom.  I said that it's useless, and it IS useless.  When is the last time you zoomed text so that you could edit it better???  Is your mouse set up so that some button combination activates zoom and pan functions when you edit text?  Do you zoom in to make sure that semi-colon is exactly 5 pixels from the parentheses?  Of course not, that ability to manipulate your visual view is only useful when you're editing complex scenes of objects (especially 3D).  The LabVIEW block diagram is a 2D graphical representation of software functions.  Its nodes and wires are not representing real objects that need to be manipulated with any degree of accuracy or efficiency.  If all the nodes are wired right your code works.  Why worry about how it looks as long as it's not an unreadable mess of spaghetti?  There is absolutely nothing "hypocritical" about my opinion on this.  As far as "elitist" goes, why shouldn't I be... I'm right.

Bottom Line:  

Zooming out is useless:  Don't rely on the block diagram to be an overview of your code.  That should be done with a flowchart or state diagram in your documentation.  Your BD should neatly fit on on page.

Zooming in is useless:  Does anybody REALLY have trouble clicking the right place on a connector panel???  I've been using LabVIEW for almost 15 years and can't remember a single time I've had trouble wiring anything regardless of the connector pane or screen resolution.  

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 51 of 63
(1,432 Views)

Ocassionally...

I wish Kudos wasn't an unsigned integer.  {giggle}

Kudos-INT.png

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 52 of 63
(1,428 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

[stuff]

Bottom Line:  

Zooming out is useless:  Don't rely on the block diagram to be an overview of your code.  That should be done with a flowchart or state diagram in your documentation.  Your BD should neatly fit on on page.

Zooming in is useless:  Does anybody REALLY have trouble clicking the right place on a connector panel???  I've been using LabVIEW for almost 15 years and can't remember a single time I've had trouble wiring anything regardless of the connector pane or screen resolution.  

Out: 95% of BD's fit nicely, but a typical main gui with a producer consumer (often enough 2 consumers) is typically a little bigger. Making any solution with .net nodes quickly grows to a couple of screens wide, as i assume you know.

In: Several times a week i get a broken wire due to connecting to the wrong input, so it happens often enough. A previous coworker had shiver issues making it hard for him to even hit the right cell in excel. He wasn't a LV programmer though, but i assume it's only for the physically fit with perfect color vision ...

Regardless, would you lose sleep if others were able to zoom the BD, Nyquist?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 53 of 63
(1,406 Views)

Here's a revolutionary idea, but it would probably need some good graphics acceleration and fancy coding:

Why not have the diagram at 1/4 scale if we want to see the entire code, but have it at 1:1 scale around the mouse cursor to precisely wire connectors. It would look similar to the famous balcony drawing by MC Escher. The "bubble" center would follow the mouse.

Message 54 of 63
(1,396 Views)

That's different to using the Windows built in magnifier how?

2015-08-27_17-12-03.png

(Apart from artistic flair, of course Smiley Wink )

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 63
(1,391 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Which post are you referring to?

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 63
(1,388 Views)

Great idea! 🙂

Actually a Hungarian guy has a similar concept for real printed maps:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/13527595/Egg-Map

LabVIEW version 2115 will be operated on some floating balls which you can squeeze to zoom in 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 63
(1,386 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Magnifier is 1:1 with >1:1 inside the window.  Proposition was 1/4:1, with 1:1 inside the window.

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 63
(1,371 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Magnifier is 1:1 with >1:1 inside the window.  Proposition was 1/4:1, with 1:1 inside the window.

The magnifier is a seperate window that potentially overlaps with the real diagram. The suggestion happens entirely in the diagram window.

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 63
(1,366 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:
Regardless, would you lose sleep if others were able to zoom the BD, Nyquist?

/Y

Not unless it costs me new enhancements that I want added.  Smiley Tongue  My concern is that it's a feature that could very well require substantial development effort on the core of the language.   Such effort should be spent making LabVIEW more powerful and useful, especially for the professional user.  If Zoom & Pan is quick and easy to implement and wouldn't take time from other more important enhacements I'm fine with it.  However, I suspect if it were that easy, it would already be a feature.  As I said, I love a good zoom and pan interface.  (I just l zoomed in my browser display to write this!  Wheeeeee!)  I just don't want to pay for it by losing out on other things that are far more important.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see what NI decides...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 60 of 63
(1,320 Views)