From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNET Frame Sniffer question - best way?

Solved!
Go to solution

For the record, here's a timing test applied to three different ways of doing it:

All cases have 1000 frames, each with a random one of 5 identifiers.

CASE 1: 12.1 uSec

CASE 1.PNG

CASE 2: your SORT idea -  58.6 uSecCase 2.PNG

CASE 3: Chunk-at-a-time 13.6 uSecCase 3.PNG

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(657 Views)

Thanks for benchmarking it. I forgot that the timestamp is the first element - you're right, creating a new array of IDs removes any advantage sorting might have (and, of course, I could be completely wrong that sorting is worthwhile anyway).

EDIT: removed suggestion to use a single pre-allocated array. That approach does not work here because it forces Search 1D Array to search through a much larger array (even though most of it is unused) each time.

However, I have an idea that may be even faster: use variant attributes. Attributes are stored in a tree so searching for an existing element is fast (no need to compare every single element), and it automatically removes duplicates too! See image below:

Unique IDs Variant.png

EDIT: I benchmarked this. For 2000 elements, the build array and variant approaches are similar. For a 50000 element array, the variant approach is 10x faster (1s for build array, 0.1s for variant). For a small array (a few hundred elements), build array is faster, although the absolute difference in time is pretty minimal at that point.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(652 Views)

nathand wrote:

EDIT: removed suggestion to use a single pre-allocated array. That approach does not work here because it forces Search 1D Array to search through a much larger array (even though most of it is unused) each time.

In case anyone is curious, here's a pre-allocated array approach that is as fast as (or marginally faster than) build array in a loop:

Unique IDs 2.png

And that's enough playing for me today. My benchmark VI is attached in case anyone else wants to play.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(644 Views)