LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XControl - Strange LV crash

Hi,

On a new W10 64 bit computer, LV (32 bit) systematically crashes when trying to open projects. I was able to find the cause but I do not know how to solve it.

Background :

• Most of our projets use a self-made XControl which is saved in a subdirectory.
  • Projects are on the network and each uses its own copy of the XControl.
  • It was developed several years ago and used in many projects.
  • The problem has never be seen before.

Description :

1. The crash only appears on this computer, but for all projects that use the XControl and for all installed LV versions (15SP1, 18SP1 and 19).
  2. LV crashes during a mass compile.
  3. Without opening a project, it is possible to open each of its VIs, including the XControl.
  4. The behavior is not related to a specific network disk.
  5. LV doesn't crash if the whole project is on a local disk.
  6. Same if only the subdirectory with the XControl  is on a local disk and the rest of the project on the network.
  7. If the XControl subdirectory is on the network but not set to Auto-populating in the project, LV doesn't crash either.

All my gratitude in advance for any indication that will allow me to solve this strange and blocking problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,456 Views)

I can't offer you an idea for solving the problem, but I wonder why you need it to be stored on the network?  If you store it there for:

• being accessible from multiple computers and/or users
  • being backed up

Then I would suggest you look into using some sort of source code control, which will allow you to do all of this and has other advantages too.  And it would prevent this crash because at edit-time the files would be loaded locally.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,382 Views)
Thank you for your time.

These reasons are indeed part of those that require us to work on a network drive.
We use SVN for some projects but not in general. I have to test to see if this way gets around this surprising problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,358 Views)

@JB wrote:

1. If the XControl subdirectory is on the network but not set to Auto-populating in the project, LV doesn't crash either.

All my gratitude in advance for any indication that will allow me to solve this strange and blocking problem.

I do not use Auto-populating folders, so I can not share the joy but...

Could there be an issue with the path length when the XControl is located on the shared drive?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,353 Views)

Is there a permissions issue with accessing the network drive?

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,330 Views)

@Ben and Mark_Yedinak : unfortunately not. This would be too easy to solve. Smiley Happy

1. The problem only appears on this computer but for all projects using the XControl.
  2. Copying the project under the root of the drive (to shorten the path) was part of the numerous tests.
  3. All the VIs of a project are under the same directory of the drive. The computer has the permissions.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,306 Views)

Ben

Out of curiosity, why do you not use Auto-populating folders ?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,300 Views)

@JB wrote:

...:

1. The problem only appears on this computer but for all projects using the XControl.
  2. ...

Tools >>> Advanced >>> Clear Compiled Object Cache... ?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,287 Views)

@JB wrote:

Ben

Out of curiosity, why do you not use Auto-populating folders ?

I use Libraries (see here) whenever I get a chance.

At one point Auto-populating folders, when used with large project was killing performance since LV was preoccupied with mucking about looking for files to add to the project.

Additionally I can compose architectures as deep as I want without pushing the file paths lengths.

Using Auto-populate with libraries would include VIs that I did not want. Say I did a quick test VI to test an idea and I saved it in a folder and then forgot about it and then latter that test VI broke. Come build time LV would start complaining about a VI that I had never intended to include.

My Libraries have public and private virtual folders. The VI intended to be used (by other developers working the same project) are in the public and the one not intended to be used outside the library are in the private folder. If I discover that I wanted to expose a VI that was first in the private folder, would then have to be moved to different folder if using auto-populate.

Then there was an issue in early versions of LVOOP where I read AQ write that LV would be happier if the folder structure was flat.... but that was a long time ago.

I will stop with the diatribe and end with an analogy.

Presenting an application in both a disk folder view and a unique Project view is like looking at a soda can from the end or from the side.

Having two views of the same thing lets us see we are not looking at a sphere or a rectangle but rather a cylinder.

Take care,

Ben

Message 9 of 14
(2,280 Views)

@Ben  a écrit :

@JB wrote:

...:

2. ...

Tools >>> Advanced >>> Clear Compiled Object Cache... ?

Ben

Thank you for the idea. Already tried without success.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,261 Views)