LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wtf is buffer size for continuous data

I've looked at webpage after webpage and manuals, please ffs do not send links, and try to explain it like I'm a 5 year old. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,485 Views)

How are you receiving the data? LabVIEW handles all the memory management for you and you generally do not need to provide a buffer size. You do need to specify the number of bytes to read but that will depend on the actual data that you are receiving and how it is formatted. An alternate approach is to read fixed sized chunks of data and pass it to another task to process the data.

With the limited amount of information provided in your question this is the best I can do.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,478 Views)

Continuous acquisition occurs at a hardware timed exact rate. On the other hand your program does not get the acquired data at that same rate, but simply reads the recent data at some intervals.  In order to not lose data, it needs to be held in a buffer. The required buffer size depends on the acquisition rate and the worst case delay between reads. Simple math!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,452 Views)

@alaspina wrote:

I've looked at webpage after webpage and manuals, please ffs do not send links, and try to explain it like I'm a 5 year old. 

Well, if you were a 5 year old, you might have told us what device you are using.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are talking about an IMAQ or IMAQdx Camera, as these have Buffer Sizes (whereas many of the DAQmx devices, as others explained, do not), have a "Continuous Mode", and don't necessarily have the best explanation of what this all means.  However, given your level of maturity (see the title of your Post), I'm hesitant to make any assumptions.

Were you talking about cameras?

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 4
(2,441 Views)