LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong residue value in General Linear Fit.VI

I'm using a least square fit (General Linear Fit VI) on my data & would like to provide the results with the SE of the estimated coefficients.

As I read somewhere, the covariance Output needs to be scaled by SSE/DOF, where SSE is the sum of squared error and DOF the degrees of freedom. Now, if I take the residue value, which should be the MSE (mean squared error according to the help pages) of my fit to calculate the SSE, I get a variance-covariance matrix that is exactly half of the expected one (I compared my results to results obtained with the software R)...

So, if I use SSE = 2*MSE*N, I get the correct results...

I've attached a small example to illustrate my problem (be generous, it is my very first VI), where you can see that the calculated MSE by hand is double the output of the residue value...

Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,722 Views)

The way you are inserting your arrays makes no sense. All your arrays are actually lenght 20 after the initial prep step, while you are expecting lenght 10. Once you properly use the inputs, the results agree. (The stock VI correctly uses the size=20 while you are only dividing by 10).

Remember, "Insert into array" changes the array size, making room for the new data while shifting the existing (higher) data up. Maybe you were looking for "replace array subset" instead? Still, your array prep smells funny. Makes no sense!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,668 Views)

Thanks for your reply! What a stupid error of me...

Cheers, Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,625 Views)