LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write to hard disk update problem

Hi,

I have a programme which uses an RT FIFO to read data and save it using "write to spreadsheet.vi" onto the hard drive in my National Instruments chassis, which is then accessed using ftp.  The first time I run the programme it works fine and logs all the data as expected.  However, if I run the programme again, the text or spreadsheet file created is not updated, even though the file size appears to have changed when I view the folder using the ftp server.  The only way I can get the file to update is to delete it from the folder and restart LabVIEW before running the programme again.  If I delete the file from the folder but do not restart LabVIEW, when I run the programme again I get an exact copy of the last file which was created, as if something inside LabVIEW is remembering the information it wrote last and rewriting it.
As far as I can see, the FIFO is emptied as it writes to the spreadsheet, so the information isn't stored there, and "write to spreadsheet.vi" automatically closes the file it opens after it has been written, so I'm lost as to where this information is being stored.  Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Nick
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,636 Views)
What are you using as FTP client? Maybe there is a local caching issue?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,622 Views)

I agree with altenbach that it is probably an FTP caching issue. Try using a third party FTP client like Filezilla (open-source).

-JRA

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,618 Views)
Cheers guys,

I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on.

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,597 Views)
Just tried it again with Smart FTP and that works fine.  Thanks for your help!

Now onto all the other bugs.........

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,563 Views)