From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend using Linx or LabView Interface for Arduino library? and why?

I'm building a robot with arduino and wanna use one of these two so i wanna know which is better before getting into it if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(869 Views)

My understanding is that LIFA was discontinued and morphed into Linx.  So I would go with Linx.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(855 Views)

In any case where LINX will work for you go with that.  I have a couple of really weird edge cases that LINX was giving me issues and luckily LIFA still exists and could be modified more easily to meet my needs.  Also LINX at the moment is 32-bit only, but could likely be modified to work on 64-bit, at least for basic Arduino control.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(842 Views)

@anos99 wrote:

I'm building a robot with arduino and wanna use one of these two so i wanna know which is better before getting into it if possible.

In general there are three ways of using LabVIEW with an Arduino

1. Program the Arduino in the native Arduino language and use LabVIEW to access the Arduino using VISA just like any other instrument on a serial port.
    1. IMHO: this is the best way as you have full control over the communications protocol and access to all of the of Arduino libraries and LabVIEW toolkits that are already out there.
  2. Use LINX (LIFA has long since been deprecated)
    1. Full LabVIEW integration, but limited amount of Arduino libraries and peripherals directly supported
    2. The Arduino basically becomes a tethered DAC device that needs to be connected to a computer to work
  3. TSXperts Arduino compiler for LabVIEW
    1. Actually turns LabVIEW into compiled Arduino code. (A real feat on its own)
      1. Limited subset of LabVIEW vi's and primitives
      2. Very limited support for Arduino libraries 
      3. Development seems to have stopped, so those annoying bugs are here to stay
========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 4
(838 Views)