LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Agilent Infiniium 54830B DSO and Labview: Why is the GPIB device not displayed in MAX?

Hi,

I want to use Labview to access Agilent 54830b scope, but the GPIB device is not shown in Agilent Connection Expert or in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX).

In Agilent Connection Expert (Version 16.2.15825.0) the GPIB0 Interface is displayed, but no Instrument is shown.  In MAX (Version 4.6.1f,0) it is the same problem. The GPIB0::INTFC is shown under Miscellenous VISA resources, but no Instrument is shown.

I installed the driver for the agilent and tried to get an answer of the GPIB device with an Initialize.vi of Lab View but it is always shown an error.

Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,577 Views)

Agilent and NI have different VISA implementations. If you want to use it with NI-VISA uninstall the connection expert or set the Agilent VISA to secondary VISA.

Check/set the GPIB settings on the scope.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,558 Views)

Thank you for the answer.

I set the Agilent VISA to secondary VISA but nothing is different.

What shall I check on the scope closely? The only setup I found on the scope is:

GPIB Setup:

Interface: GPIB Address: 7

This number can be changed but I can not see an effekt. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,536 Views)
Did you enable tulip support?

Agilent has instructions for using their controller with NI software. Have you looked at their site?

Did you have a choice in which GPIB controller to purchase? Buying one from NI to use with NI software is the smarter move.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,531 Views)

Yes, I enabled the tulip support.

And I looked for solutions on the different sites in the web, but I couldn't find anything.

The cable, you are talking about, is not useful for me, I think. But I have to see the device without cable, haven't I?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,492 Views)

c-harlie57 wrote:But I have to see the device without cable, haven't I?

What?  Your instrument has to be connected in order for MAX to find it.  So, yes, you need the cable to connect between the instrument and your computer.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,488 Views)

Sorry, I forgot to say: I just work with the Oscilloscope. On the Oscilloscope Windows is installed and there I want to work with lab view. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,469 Views)

Hello Charlie,

I am just curious what does tulip support mean ?

To answer your question, are you using GPIB cable only ? or RS232/GPIB converter ?

I know that using NI cable will solve your problem even with any converter. MAX gonna detect all your instruments.

Another thing you can try is to detect your instrument through agilent tool (equivalent to MAX, i don't remember the exact name but it is a web tool) you can install it from your CD drivers.

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,464 Views)
I don't know how an internal connection is supposed to appear. Since the Agilent tool does not detect anything, you really need to contact Agilent.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,445 Views)