From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround? Mouse Down Event Does Not Work With Touchscreen Monitor With LabVIEW

Hello

I have a problem with a touchscreen HP (https://www.lcd-compare.com/moniteur-HPEDE230T-HEWLETT-PACKARD-HP-EliteDisplay-E230t.htm). 

I can't record a "mouse down event" on a button with this monitor, using my finger. Mouse down event rises when my finger goes up. The mecanical action "switch until relesased" does not function either.

I used this VIs with other monitors (like iiyama), and it was fine. But HP does not provide a "like-a-mouse" driver.

This is a known issue : https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000001Dc12SAC&l=fr-CH

But I would like a workaround, whatever it is. My goal is to provide a "jog" button. When i push the button, an axis moves slowly, and when I release, it stops.

Any Idea?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,693 Views)

I guess maybe you could use the mouse move\enter\leave events. If the mouse moves to the position of the button (mouse enter event), it's because the user pressed there. Then (maybe with added logic), you can trigger a value signaling.

Switched until released is harder, as it seems you don't get any events to use.

It will be hard to suggest anything without the physical device.

BTW. I don't see how this device is useful to anybody, LabVIEW or not. If you can't click, how does it do anything useful?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,668 Views)

wiebe@CARYA  a écrit :

BTW. I don't see how this device is useful to anybody, LabVIEW or not. If you can't click, how does it do anything useful?

But with other applications it functions very well! You can draw a line in Paint, no problem. But in Labview it doesn't work because Labview don't directly use Windows events.. 

LabVIEW does not have any touch interface capabilities built into it, what happens is that the OS handles the touch to mouse pointer conversion and sends it over to LabVIEW. Sometimes the third party touchscreen driver does not register as a pointing device and hence cannot work as a mouse. Some manufacturers have their own specific drivers which can change the behaviour of the touch panel. Please contact the software manufacturer of the third party touch panel to get the drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,659 Views)

That complicates things...

I guess you need to either hook LabVIEW's window handler proc to convert the incoming messages, or catch mouse events (I'll have to lookup the API) and handle them.

Both will be difficult and troublesome.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,654 Views)

This tool (TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse) is advertised as a solution for this problem.

It might as well hijack all your company's computers. But if you feel lucky...

The website looks 1995, but it seems to be maintained pretty activelly (last update 2021-11-11).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,650 Views)

Thank you for looking for a solution, but it doesn't work.

Suprisly this problem is old and was already an issue on Surfaces :

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Press-and-hold-on-a-Surface-pro-touch-screen/td-p/2816346

I'll keep searching..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,641 Views)

Hello,

A "switch until relesased" like function works if you "keep pressing the button". With a mouse it is quite simple, but with a touchscreen if you press and hold something that is just a right click event.

In case of many touchscreens you have to double tap the button and keep pressing it after the 2nd tap to press and hold a button.

I hope it helps you,

Csaba

Message 7 of 7
(1,320 Views)