LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With labview6, windows2000 and AT MIO 16 E-1 I can not open any DMA chanels?

I have updatet from Windows98 to windows2000 and from
LabView5 to Labview6.03. No my vi tels me that there are no DMA channels available when I use my AT MIO 16 E-1 card. When I use my AT MIO 64 E-3 card, this is
not happening. My vi performs Analog input
and analog output synchronized by an internal clock.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,944 Views)
First of all, try to check DMA allocation in your system (in win9x is in MyComputer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Computer -> Properties -> DMA ... it should be similar in win2000). Maybe, when updating the OS, some other device got the DMA channel before E 1 card (especially if windows did the whole driver related job).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,944 Views)
The card is set up as two devices in my device manager.
The first one seems to work well, and has two DMA channels. The second device, which i guess is to get the third DMA channel, says that the device can not start(code 10). I can not view the resources since the device has a probleme. As far as I can se, there do not seem to be any other device that use the same DMA chanel. The first device uses chanel 6 and 7. Chanel 5 is not used.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,944 Views)
This configuration looks a little bit strange to me. Try to set manually just one DMA channel for that card. Unfortunately, I cannot drive you through win2000 settings because I don't have it.
Anyway, it will be a good idea to uninstall the drivers for both cards and install them step by step following instructions from manual (if it's possible, don't let windows to do it automatically).
hope this helps somehow ...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,944 Views)
This configuration is the same as the one that worked with win98 and lv5. I tried to use only one DMA channel, but I get the same error. The strange thing is that I can perform both AO and AI separately, without any error messages. It is my vi that performs simultaneously AO and AI that creates an error. What I do is to route the AO update signal to PFI pin 5 and configure the clock for the AI from this. At least it worked fine in win98 and lv5, but there was problems with bugs in the early version of win95 when I upgraded from LV4 to LV5. These problems were fixed by upgrading to win98 (or a newer version of win95). I guess I might have to wait for Service Pack 4 or some thing like that? I have attached the vi that causes problemes.
It could of cause be that I have done some mistakes in the vi that I LV5 and win98 let me get
away with?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,947 Views)
Just one idea left on my side ... try your LV 5 with Windows 2000 in order to find out who's the trouble maker (my bet is for windows). If it's LV, send a log to NI and I'm sure that they will find a solution.
good luck !
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,947 Views)
Thank you. I did try LV5 and win2000. The same
problem is present.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,947 Views)
Let's say you have only one DMA channel available. By default LabVIEW will use DMA transfers for buffered operations because it is the fastest method. So if you perform only a buffered analog input or only a buffered analog output operation, everything will be fine. However, if you perform concurrent buffered analog input and output operations, then only one operation can use the DMA channel and you will receive the error you mentioned.

The solution is to assign more DMA channels if possible. Or you can tell one operation to use IRQ's for transfers instead. Use the Set DAQ Device Info.vi to set the transfer mode for the analog operation to use interrupts.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,947 Views)
It seems that I have 2 DMA channels available at the first "device" (the card has 2 entries in the device manager), and I now from before that I should have one more at the second entry. It is this second entry that does not start, probably giving my only 2 DMA channels, which seems to be one to litle. I have tried to manually configure the devices, but I can not get them configured as they were in win 98. As I remember the second device had both one DMA and one IRQ. Now I can only chose one DMA for the second device, but no IRQ.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,947 Views)
The previous post mentioned Device Manger- It is basically the same in Win2000 as Win98.
You should also try to remove the card from MAX and Device Manager (NOT physcially) and then try to get Windows to re-detect it. Go back to MAX and refresh(F5).
Your Windows upgrade will have changed the registry around. If the above didn't work, you may have to reinstall NI-DAQ. Be sure to remove the card before you reinstall NI-DAQ.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,947 Views)