From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wine & Labview Executables?

Is it possible to run LabView executables under wine? Has anyone ever attempted to do this? Thanks for any information.

Regards,
Ken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,511 Views)

@Kenneth.Miller wrote:
Is it possible to run LabView executables under wine? Has anyone ever attempted to do this? Thanks for any information.

Regards,
Ken

I've tried it several years ago with LabVIEW 5.1.1 and 6.1 and didn't really have any significant issues except that everything was sort of sluggish and certain screen updates left artefacts on the screen. Now Wine has come a long way since but so has LabVIEW and I doubt somewhat that LabVIEW 8.0.1 would be as complient with Wine as older versions have been.
All the .Net, Active X and what else more is quite involved and LabVIEW 8.0.1 does not for nothing require Win2000 or XP to run. Wine has on that area quite some deficiencies related to specific functionality such as ActiveX/DCOM and does not attempt to provide .Net functionality at all. Of course you could get Mono into the picture here but last thing I heard they were trying to sort of modify Wine to get their system to load properly.

I believe that .Net is optional in that LabVIEW will only weak link to .Net functionality and did so before with ActiveX/DCOM but since Win2000 comes with ActiveX support out of the box, this weak linking might not have been tested properly anymore and might actually fail.

All in all not exactly a good constellation and since LabVIEW for Linux is available since a long time I haven't bothered about LabVIEW on Wine for quite some time.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 2
(2,500 Views)