LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows7 / LabVIEW 2010 project / vis access denied

Since I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 and my LabVIEW version to 2010 my project or the vis that I write cannot be opened by fellow administrators on the computer. Older projects and vis that were written in 8.6.1 are not experencing this problem. The computer support techs have checked out my settings in Windows and ensured me that I have everything shared properly. The other administrators can open any other type of file and make changes that demonstrate that Windows is not restricting their access and that they are administrators. Is there a setting in LabVIEW that would be restricting them?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,117 Views)

Mojojojo,

I am the applications engineer in charge of overseeing your forum post.

By default there should not be any type of protection on VIs written by a particular user. The way protection is assigned to VIs is in the VI properties in labview. File>>VI properties (ctrl+i). In here under protection you can set up if you want the current user to lock a VI, set a password, or have no protection. 

Can the other administrators open any LV 2010 files? Have they been able to create LV VIs and you were able to access them?

<Joel Khan | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | Rice University BSEE> 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,098 Views)

Hi Joel

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the protections in the VI properties and it's set for unlocked (no password). I'll get the staff member I work for to log on and will try to write a VI under his account. We haven't tried other people on that computer. I will try that though. I just had the new OS installed and I installed LV2010 within the last 3 or 4 weeks. What seems weird to me is that he can run the VIs that I wrote in LabVIEW 8.6 before the computer rebuild. They open just fine in LV2010.

OK - I just found the problem and it is not LabVIEW's fault. I had a different person that was an administrator log onto the machine. He could run 90% of the VIs but could not open the project or a couple of the VIs. It would come up with a box saying that he did not have the permissions to open those files. A different computer support person came over and had seen this kind of problem before. To make it work for everyone, LabVIEW must be started by selecting to "run as administrator". You cannot start LabVIEW by double clicking on the project or vi or that will start the program in a normal mode. I guess Windows7 has bugs in the UAC (user access control) and even though a person is an administrator the OS will pick and choose where they can go and what they can do.THANK YOU Microsoft for making me so secure and unproductive. Smiley Mad

Thank you for your time Joel. I hope this post might help others.

Joe Lundstrom

Message 3 of 8
(3,089 Views)

Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad that you figured out what was causing this issue. Kudos to you. I have also noticed that opening different applications in Win 7 under "run as administrator" can lead to different results. 

For your information, I understand that you may want to voice your concerns on National Instruments products and have suggestions which you would like to bring to the attention of NI R&D. The best means of communicating these concerns is via the following link:http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/defalt?OpenForm. 

<Joel Khan | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | Rice University BSEE> 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,083 Views)

If you just want to be able to double click your labview icon you don't want to have to right click and do "run as administrator" every time you open the program:

Find the labVIEW executable file (Programs>National Instruments>LabVIEW 2010>LabVIEW 2010.exe). Right mouse click on it and go to properties. There should be a tab labeled "compatibility". Put a check next to "Run as Administrator". This will probably require admin approval.

If you do this you will be able to just double click and it will always run as administrator but you will probably still get a popup asking you if you want to allow the program to make changes to your computer and you must select "allow".

This is a general fix for when you get permissions errors in Windows 7. Windows is just trying to make sure the program isn't doing something you don't want it to (virus behavior).

PS to Joe K. - That link appears to be broken.

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
Message 5 of 8
(3,072 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,060 Views)

Set the perissions for the folder and files to Full control. Using the file explorer select the folder properties, Security tab. Select the user name and check the Allow Full control box under permissions for User.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,733 Views)

Thanks for the post, I wasted 2 hours trying to figure this out until I found your post. 

Here is another reference,

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-make-an-application-run-as-administrator-by-default-in-windows-7...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,634 Views)