LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Remote Desktop Crashes VI

Hello everyone,

I have an unusual error which I cannot work out. I often use remote desktop to control the computer on which my LabVIEW VI is running. Sometimes this works fine, but on occasion using remote desktop causes the VI to crash.

Does anyone have any experience, kno whwy this is or how to solve/work around this issue.

I know it is deffinetly related to Windows Remote Desktop as I experimented for some time by not using it and then using it and repeating. So this is an intermitant issue, but deffinetly attributed to Windows Remote Desktop usage.

Cheers! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,478 Views)

Never had this problem.

You can try other tools, such as TeamViewer, instead of Windows Remote Desktop.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,451 Views)

Hi George,

Yes that is the next plan, I have used TeamViewer before. But really I want to find out why this happens - my suspision is memory usage...

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,447 Views)

First you could test this crash behaviour with other VIs. Only this specific VI crashes, or any random VI? Just use an example VI from LV help menu for testing...

"but on occasion using remote desktop causes the VI to crash"

You did not explain these crashes in more details. You wrote your VI crashes. Does it mean that you run your VI from LabVIEW, and when you attempt to use remote control, the whole LabVIEW environment crashes? Do you see any error msg or report?

This document describes where you can see logs related to LV crashes: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7E9EBE4CA3B6DCE786257633005E7121

You could contact NI to further investigate this issue.

If you run your VI from LabVIEW, do you have any specific reason to do so? An application should end up usually in a built executable so you will only need the LV Runtime engine (and some other things depending on your code, like VISA Runtime, etc.) to run it on any PC. Could you try to create an executable from your project (I hope you use a LV project to handle your application VIs?) and see if you get the same crashes? 

You could attach your VI or project zipped so people can have a look what might be the issue...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,442 Views)

If you can't force it to crash by using Remote Desktop, what is it that's making you so certain this is the issue and not a red herring?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,425 Views)

I am suddenly having the same issue here right now. RDP the PC immediately crashes the labview program. I believe it had worked in the past, so it might be related to the VI, but is completely unclear to me how to resolve it. (Labview 2015 SP1 on Win7)

It in fact doesn't crash, instead it hangs forever. Therefore no crash protocol is generated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,301 Views)