LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Add & Remove Program fails to unistall Built Application

LV 8.6.1

Windows XP

I have an application that I have built with Application Builder and installed using the Installer created by Application Builder.  Normally, if I have an update to a program I will first uninstall the original program before installing a newly built version o the revised program. Recently, I attempted to remove the original version of a program I got an error indicating that the unistaller had failed to remove the original program. It flags an "Internal Error 2715" and lists the name of the application I am attempting to uninstall. (See attached error message).

I have had to install multiple versions of the application and each version fails to uninstall.  I currently have about 7 different versions of the same program that will not unistall.

Am wondering if anyone else has had problems with this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,696 Views)

Hi johnfr,

This is an MSI (Microsoft Installer) error. As well as I can tell, Internal Error 2715 occurs when the MSI tries to perform a "custom action" and can't, usually because of a typo or programming error in the MSI look-up tables. This seems to happen not too infrequently to programmers who are writing their own MSI's, but it's not something I have ever seen with a LabVIEW installer. Does this problem only happen with a specific program of yours and other executables install and uninstall properly? If it is something that seems to occur only with a specific set of code, I think it's definitely something NI would like to investigate. You can open a Service Request with an NI engineer (ni.com/support, Phone/Email an Engineer) and we could look at it directly.

To resolve the problem, I'd suggest working around the MSI by deleting the programs manually from the Windows Registry. Go to the START button of your operating system, choose RUN and type regedit. This will open the Registry Editor window. Go to the Registry Menu and choose Export Registry File. Select All for the export range, and select a file name. (This creates a backup of the Registry in case a mistake is made when deleting the keys.) Then, search the registry for all references to your program and delete them. To do this, you may need to modify security policies. In Windows XP you can modify security options using Edit»Permissions in the Registry Editor (regedit).

That should take care of removing the programs. Let us know how it goes!

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,646 Views)

LaRisa,

Yes, it is only happening on one application.  Other applications seem to uninstall normally. I will start a Sevice Request in the morning.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,639 Views)