LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 64 bit minimize and maximize Windows windows

Solved!
Go to solution

We upgraded to Windows 8 64 bit and labview 12 64 bit here at work.

One of the programs I wrote with an example I found on the NI board no longer works.

We used to have windows XP 32 bit.

I used to be able to give a window name such as notepad (or any Windows window) and I could minimize or maximize it as needed.

Well once we upgraded to Windows 8 and Labview 12 64 bit it no longer works.

Does anyone have an example that I can look at that will work with Labview 12 64 bit?

Thanks Rick.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,243 Views)

Why did you install LabVIEW 64bit?? Tyipcally LabVIEW 32bit is recommended, even on 64bit windows.

(Not all drivers and toolkits are supported under LabVIEW 64bit).

In what way does the program no longer work (does not open, gives an error message, crashes, causes the computer to burst into flames?) 

LabVIEW 12 is not officially supported under Windows 8 (details).

@rcard53762 wrote:

We used to have windows XP 32 bit.

I used to be able to give a window name such as notepad (or any Windows window) and I could minimize or maximize it as needed.

Is your minimize/maximize problem in any way related to LabVIEW or a general problem?

What do you mean by "give a name"? It already has a name, right?  Are you talking about the "run" box? You can get it by pressing the <windows>+r key combination (the <windows> key is typically between ctrl and alt on the lower left of the keyboard).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,241 Views)

Your LabVIEW application most likely makes use of the WinAPI calls to deal with direct calls to influence windows. This library was developed about 20 years ago and only marginally updated in all the years. It has several specific 32 bit limitations in how the Call Library Nodes are configured. That will not work as is in LabVIEW for Windows 64 Bit. All the WinAPI functions need to be reviewed and all the window handles need to be changed from 32 bit integers to pointer sized integers ( a feature that only exists since LabVIEW 2009) so about 15 years after the VI library was developed. There are potentially other modifications that need to be done for proper operation in LabVIEW for Windows 64 Bit.

The short term workaround is definitely to use 32 Bit LabVIEW. Or does your application really need such huge memory space?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 15
(3,231 Views)

Why did I install Labview 12 64 bit, and why upgrader to windows 8.

Because thats what my company decided to upgrade too. 

Not my choice.

In what way does my program no longer work.

The example code that I loaded no longer functions. It gives me an error I dont remeber the exact error but something to the effect that a 32 bit dll will not function on a 64 bit system.

I went back into my code to add some new features and it no longer worked.

Is your minimize/maximize problem in any way related to LabVIEW or a general problem?

Its a  Labview issue because beside that windows still works normally.

What do you mean by "give a name"? It already has a name, right?

Yes when you open any window in Windows the window has a name at the top.

Thats how the exa,ple I had worked you typed in the window name and it would resize the window.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,217 Views)

I have no choice in which Labview to use it was a company decision.

Yes the example I had used windows WinAPI calls to deal with direct calls to influence windows.

Is there no WinAPI for windows 8 that does the same thing?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,214 Views)

You can probably recreate the functionality with .net functions, though why is your LV program minimizing other processes?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,211 Views)

@rcard53762 wrote:

I have no choice in which Labview to use it was a company decision.

That sounds completely clueless. Did you try to give them some feedback?

How did they justify that decision?? ("Hey, the more bits the better!!!")

Note that you can even install both 32 and 64 bit LabVIEW on the same computer and activate with the same license. Most VIs will run under both.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,197 Views)

rcard53762 wrote:

Is there no WinAPI for windows 8 that does the same thing?

It's not Windows 8 that is the problem here. It's LabVIEW for Windows 64 Bit. Installl LabVIEW for Windows 32 Bit (works just as fine on Windows 64 Bit and your license works for both variants) and your example works again.

And no there is no WinAPI package for LabVIEW for Windows 64 Bit. It's originally a community developed library and NI never made it an official NI library, nor should they have done that. As such it is only community supported meaning it gets modified if and only if someone from the community does the work and also posts it for others to use.

Building an application to depend on these functions is only a good idea if you know what you are doing. That includes both the original application developer being savy about calling WinAPI functions through the Call Library Node as well as being aware about the possible liability for the next gal or guy who has to maintain that application and port it to Windows 2025 or even more funny Linux or Mac OS X, or the super duper tablet OS that will come out in 10 years. Don't laugh, many quick and dirty test applications end up being used for decades to come and are usually in a state that nobody dares to even touch from fear that it breaks.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,170 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rcard53762

So I went into Windows 8 and adjusted the properties of my program.

It now runs in compatability mode with Windows XP.

It runs with no problems. 

I guess sometimes the simple answers are the best.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,111 Views)

If you really run LabVIEW for Windows 64 bit this is only a workaround, not really a solution. It probably just restricts the application in several ways, which makes it less likely that it will internally use handles that exceed the 32 bit range. But the problem could return at any moment by seemingly unrelated changes to your machine.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,083 Views)