Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 takes 15min to boot after installing Labview 2012

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there

I need some help on this, is it a bug?

The issue is that on my laptop after installing Labview 2012, it takes about 15 minutes to boot, this happens everytime a Restart or Start my laptop. 

At first I was thinking that were something with my laptop, but then my colleague also installed Labview 2012 on his laptop and has exactly the same problem, the difference is that his laptop is new and is running windows 7 64bit Professional, mine is older and is running windows 7 32bit professional.

I've tryed to disable the NI services, but didn't solved the problem, but when I disable all windows services that start at boot, the boot is fast.

Note also that I had Labview 2011 Installed before and I didn't have this issue before.

Tryed also to find something in the event log, but nothing.

Have anyone got this issue, or a solution to it?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(13,450 Views)

If you type msconfig into the Window Start menu, it will bring up the System Configuration.  From here, you can look at the startup tab and start disabling National Instruments software.

You could try disabling certain ones and try to isolate the problem or just disable them all.

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(13,411 Views)

Tried that already, as you can read in my post: "I've tryed to disable the NI services, but didn't solved the problem, but when I disable all windows services that start at boot, the boot is fast."

Also tried to disable some windows services that i think maybe related, but didn't found which one is causing this problem,

Do you all have some other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(13,402 Views)

The Startup Tab is for applications, not services.

Startup lists applications that run when the computer starts up.
Services lists all of the services that start when the computer starts, along with their current status (Running or Stopped).

If you can can fix the problem by disabling certain services, find out which one it is that is causing the problem and go from there

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(13,394 Views)

Finally solved this problem.

What's seems to be happening, is that because my computer is part of a domain, there are to services, that usually delay the boot in 1 or 2 minutes.

But after installing Labview 2012 this time was increased a lot to 15min/20min. Don't Know how they're related, but sure this only happens when I install Labview 2012, so it should be some king of a bug related with these services.

The services I'm talking about are:

1) Web Client. (disable this service)

2) Network Store Interface Service (set this to Automatic(Delayed Start)) This service should not be disable because then the network won't work.
Note that my computer is part of a domain, and this services are related to ir, so this may not happen in computers that are not in a domain.

So now it takes 1 or 2 minutes to boot, so it may have some other services related to this problem, but it's not easy to find which ones are.

I will report this so NI engineers can look at it and search for a correct solution

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(13,339 Views)

Thats good news.

Thanks for sharing.

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(13,302 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mgouveia

This problem seemed to be solved but then it come back again a few days later

I did a lot of testing in my laptop, and found that this is related with the service "Network Store Interface Service" (NSIS). So disabling this service you have your problem solved, but it causes another problem, you loose the network.
This happens because the "DHCP Client" service depends on NSIS.

Also this issue seems to happen only when the PC is in a domain and i'm in a windows server domain (Windows SBS2008).

So i've found out that if you set to manual this services that depend on NSIS (DHCP Client, DNS Client, IP Helper, Network Connections, Network Local Awareness) and also put NSIS in Manual 
You also need to disable the "Workstation" service that also depends on NSIS (why disable? Because there are 3 services that depend on Workstation service, they will force it to start, and then it will force NSIS to start, then long boot, if you really need any of the services dependent on Workstation, do the same as described for them)
Not also that you have to uncheck this services in the msconfig window if they are checked, then the PC will boot normaly without network.

Upon boot you should go to services and start DHCP Client to have Network(and the others if you really need them) 
This will also force NSIS to start, and other services that depend on NSIS.
The first time the PC reboots you may need to set again these services to manual in the services window, i had to do it, then in the sebsequent boots they were already set to Manual
If you let just on of the dependent services in Automatic or Automatic (Delayed Start) it will force NSIS to Run and the boot time will go to +-15min

Because you need to manually start "DHCP Client" to have network, here is a solution to do it automatically after you log on:
1-Go to Control Panel and open Administrative Tools
2-Open Task Scheduller
3-On the right click on "Creat Basic Task"
4-In the first window give it a name ("DHCP" for instance) and press next
5-Choose "When I Logon" and press next
6-Choose "Start a Program" and press next
7-In the "Program/script" insert: net
8-In the "Arguments" insert: start "DHCP Client"
9-Press "Finish" and you're done

Message 7 of 12
(13,129 Views)
A colleague of mine had the same trouble after installing CVI 2012 on Win 7. I recently got a new win 7 PC and its happening to me now right after installing CVI 2012 SP1. I tried disabling all NI services and startup items to no avail. Thank goodness for the solution above. I spent hours trying to track this down before I found this post. I implemented a variation where workstation and all its dependents are set to Manual. This solution has worked now through 5 reboots. I am also in a corporate environment with auto mounted shares upon boot. I believe it to be a problem with the NI install process. It must have changed some setting that makes Windows sit at the Please Wait screen for 15-20 mins on boot. I hope that NI can fix this in the next service pack.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(12,515 Views)

If the long boot times are occurring on computers with a .local top level domain, it could be related to a recent known issue in a subcomponent released in 2012. There is a work-around documented in this kb that may be worth a shot.

-Luke 

Message 9 of 12
(12,280 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(12,120 Views)