From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 + Labview 7.1 + VISA + Admin rights

Solved!
Go to solution

When I'm using Labview7.1 and the visa resources with admin rights, I have not any troubles. But when I switch back to normal user rights the vi doesn't find any Com Port. The problem is that the IT department give us no admin rights. Is there a way where I can use the Visa resources with normal user rights?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,664 Views)

Dear Hartl_D,

Do you have access to the folder; C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Data

You would be able to see the port in MAX if you have access to this folder; however you are not able to change port settings without administrator rights. Please notice that LabVIEW 7.1 is a release before Windows 7 existed. It wasn't written for this operating system, mostly it works but we cannot guarantee it.

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,661 Views)

Yes, i have access rights to this folder! But the MAX only works with administrator rights. With normal User rights the Measurement, Automation .... program hangs up. There are any other possibilities under Windows 7 or  I have to switch to a newer Labview Version?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,658 Views)

Please make shure that you have the rights to modify in this folder; Make sure you are logged in as the Administrator. Go to the config.mxs or config3.mxs file described in the first
paragraph. Right-click on that file and select
Properties.
Select the
Security tab
to view the permissions for the selected
group. Select the appropriate user group and place a check mark in the boxes
to Allow Modify and Write privileges
for the user group and click OK. Now
log out and log back in as a member of the user group. You will now be able to
see all of the devices in MAX.

Also can you have a look at the following KB ? Since you are using Windows 7 the change and read options are found under Advanced sharing. You can also try to update MAX by downloading system configuration

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,655 Views)

I have the rights to modify, read , write,.... the entire folder, but I'm not able to select any serial port as "normal" user!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,643 Views)

Which version of NI VISA and MAX are you using? Did you upgrade already? Please check also the KB I out pointed to you (MAX in program files folder). Probably it is even better to give full rights to the program files \ national instruments folder.

Maybe it is also best to temporary disable firewall and virus scanner so we are sure MAX and VISA aren't interrupted by those.

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,641 Views)

I'm using NI VISA 3.1 and MAX 3.1.0.3021. I also have all rights for the entire National Instruments folder under program files. All firewalls and virus scanner disabled. Any registry settings?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,627 Views)

Dear Hartl_D,

I have full control and read access to the national instruments folder in the registries, so it is something to check. What message is appearing when you try to start up MAX? Can you try to upgrade as described in my previous post?

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,610 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hartl_D

With the new VISA-Driver it works! Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,589 Views)