From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Beep.vi

Hello,

When you run Beep.vi on a Windows XP machine, the beep sounds on the internal buzzer, but when you run it on a Windows 7 machine, it only plays through the speakers. 

Our computers don't have speakers connected to them because we've always used the internal beeping functionality for our software. 

Is there any way to reroute where the beep command is sent, or is there another way to talk with the internal speaker of Windows?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,954 Views)

I found this website that says, "In Windows 7, Beep was rewritten to pass the beep to the default sound device for the session. This is normally the sound card, except when run under Terminal Services, in which case the beep is rendered on the client."

I don't know what that means.  Is that something I can do in Labview or is this a Windows settings issue?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,945 Views)

The old beep function in Windows used to make use of the 8254 chip but as sound cards became more common (and the chips less) most applications moved to the MessageBeep function which uses whatever is the default sound device is.  I have not tested this, but the solution would seem to be to change the default device.  I would try to go into the Windows device manager and disable the sound card(s) -- and likely reboot.  One of two things might happen.  Either the beep will now come from the PC speaker, as you hope, or you will get no sound at all.  It would depend on the presence/ absence of the chip.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,923 Views)

@Don_Phillips wrote:

The old beep function in Windows used to make use of the 8254 chip but as sound cards became more common (and the chips less) most applications moved to the MessageBeep function which uses whatever is the default sound device is.  I have not tested this, but the solution would seem to be to change the default device.  I would try to go into the Windows device manager and disable the sound card(s) -- and likely reboot.  One of two things might happen.  Either the beep will now come from the PC speaker, as you hope, or you will get no sound at all.  It would depend on the presence/ absence of the chip.

Well, this unfortunately didn't work, and as far as I can tell, it's the only solution.  It may just be an obsolete function.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,909 Views)

New computers dont have buzzers, the function itself works fine.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,889 Views)