LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 64 Visa install failure

I have two Windows 7 64 bit machines.  NI Visa has been installed on both.  It works on one but not the other.  They were created with different install scripts.  Both scripts work well on all other Windowsoperating systems.  In the directory c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\IVIFoundation\Visa the working system has two directories VisaCom and WinNT.  The nonfunctioning system only has WinNT in it.  The two WinNT directories seem identical.  Just copying the VisaCom directory does not solve the problem.  How can I get the nonfunctioning system to work?  Is it the VisaCom directory and something needs to be registered? If so how or where?   What are the differences between a Win 7 64 installation and : Win 7 32, XP 32, XP64 that makes this failure? 

Thanks,
Chas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,605 Views)

Chas2003:

So since you are working with two Windows 7, 64-bit machines, this does not have to do with a difference in
OS or bits. I am curious how you installed each instance of VISA since you mentioned having two different
install scripts. Can you please clarify how and where you installed your two instances of VISA? You should have
the VisaCom folder and it is true that you may not be able to just copy and paste. The order of installation
also matters, drivers need to be installed last after installing all other NI software. In what order did you
install on the machine that VISA is not functioning on? Also, have you tried repairing or reinstalling VISA
from the Control Panel? I look forward to hearing back from you. Have a great afternoon.

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,587 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  This is a result of a project I have inherited.  Folks here tried to reduce the footprint of the NI-VISA-Runtime.zip.   They tested on the operating systems we support with the products they had.  It turns out that another co-worker had a line of products that use NI_Visa for registration.  These products worked on XP 32 and 64 bit and Win 7 32 bit but not on the Win 7 64 bit.  Under the normal NI-VISA-Runtime.zip there are three directories license, Products, Support files and 5 files.  Under Products there is NI-VISA_Runtime and 16 other directories.  What my colleges did was take the innner folder NI-VISA_Runtime only from the products directory and replace the entire NI-VISA-Runtime.zip with it.  Then they run an installer that invokes all the setup files in the directory. 

I tried working backwards from your regular file.  It seems that deleting any one of the folders in the product folder prevents the entire installation program from even starting.  Once it failed to run even restoring all the product folders does not allow it to run again.

Running it from the installer from here , like I said, only creates the one subfolder WinNO.  Which folders are responsible for creating the  VisaCom  folder?

Thank you,

Chas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,577 Views)

Chas2003:

I would download a new copy from ni.com/drivers in order to remedy the problem. From there, you can search
in the search box for "VISA" and look for the VISA version you would like to download. It sounds like you have
corrupted that copy and it would be easiest to just install a fresh version. When looking for the version,
please make sure to check the associated readme file to make sure it will work with Windows 7, 64 bit and your
version of LabVIEW, if applicable. For example, VISA 5.0.3 is supported by that OS.

Have a good evening.

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,555 Views)

Thanks,

I think I talked my boss out of doing it.  It being creating a smaller version of NI-VISA to save download times.  The whole idea was just too scary for me and I think I managed to scare him too.

Chas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,553 Views)

Chas2003:

That would certainly be the safest option. Please let me know if you need any more help installing NI-VISA

and I wish you the best with your application.

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,543 Views)