LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows_10 + PXI-7841R + LabVIEW 2019 : NI says need Xilinx Compilation Tool for ISE14.7, but only Windows_7 ?!

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Day,

I have a PXI-7841R FPGA device, LabVIEW 2019 installed, and NI says at Compatibility between Xilinx Compilation Tools and NI FPGA Hardware - NI that requires the Xilinx Compilation Tool for ISE 14.7. It also says that Module Xilinx Compilation Tool for ISE 14.7 is not supported on Windows_10

Our IT will not allow me to use Windows_7. Does someone have a work-around? If I upgrade LabVIEW would there be a solution? 

Thank you in advance for your insight.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,129 Views)

If you have an active SSP, you can use the NI online compile server.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/14/compile-faster-with-the-labview-fpga-...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 7
(1,122 Views)

That is a great idea. Thank you for bringing it up. Our IT does not allow us to use that service at this time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,103 Views)

If your IT does not allow you to use NI online compile service, you may be cornered to setting up your own FPGA compile farm on Linux on a local server.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 7
(1,090 Views)

Santhosh, That is another great idea. I will consider it once I have exhausted all more straight forward options though, as I would have to get IT involved.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/vivado-design-tools...  says that 

ISE Design Suite for Windows 10 - 14.7 

Last Updated February 2020

This version of ISE supports all Xilinx devices. For more information, visit the ISE Design Suite.

So this could work, but when I run the installer it says it is going to install a virtual machine. Will the NI FPGA compile worker know how to access it? 

ISE 147 Win10 VM installer.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,068 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FrankBrown

We are using Virtual Machines with Windows 7 for this purpose. Don't know if that's allowed by your IT.

You could then either develop in the VM, or just use this as compile server.

Message 6 of 7
(1,048 Views)

Thank you Dan,

This is what we should do indeed, setup a compile server.

But after thinking a lot about this, and to keep things simple, I will replace the 7841R with a 7846R:  The 7846R compiles in Windows10 with LabVIEW 2019 and the "LabVIEW 2019 FPGA Module Xilinx Compilation Tool for Vivado": So no need to authorize and setup a compile server for now.

This tool made me realize that different FPGA cards may require different compile tools:

Compatibility between Xilinx Compilation Tools and NI FPGA Hardware - NI

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,019 Views)