LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will loading V2011 break Report Generation in V2010?

My report generation toolkit seems to have stopped working almost entirely.

In V2010, the example "Generate Report From Template(Word).vi" will go as far as loading the Word file. After that it reports the error:

(Error 1 occurred at NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:ex_RGT_Append Anything To Report.vi -> NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:subMS Office Report Block.vi -> Generate Report From Template (Word).vi:MS Office Report.vi-> Generate Report From Template (Word).vi   while processing the chart input.)
Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.

My application which was working a week ago is providing the same error message.

From scratch I tried making a small word template file and a vi to work with the template which also provided the same error

I loaded the same example into V2011 and with some modifications indicated by error messages, I ran the program and it will not load the file and simply reports Error 7 that it cannot find the file.

Has my loading V2011 broken the report generation toolkit?

I have had to go back to using V2010 due to other reasons, so I need to have 2010 working.

Shall I uninstall 2011 and 2010 and then reinstall 2010? (all day job I would like to avoid)

Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall the toolkit to repair the problem? (I've tried once and I am not sure that uninstall worked as the messages resulting from an install from the NI disc reported no uninstall and no install)

In the attached zip file is the example as well as the word.doc and .dot files from V2010.

Thanks,
Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,354 Views)

Hi Chris,

I have tried running your VIs on my computer running 2011 and they work fine. Can I just confirm that the issue you are seeing is present in both LabVIEW 2010 and LabVIEW 2011?

My first recommendation would be to try and repair the 2011 LabVIEW version. This can be done through the 'Programs and Features' within the control panel. The dialog box will be available when you select National Instruments within 'Programs and Features'.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.

What version of the Report Generation Toolkit are you using?

Let me know if the repair of LV2011 goes. If it doesn't fix the problem let me know and I will look into this further for you.

Regards,

Aaron. E
Product Performance Engineer
Dyson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,348 Views)

Aaron,

I am seeing problems in both V2010 and V2011. V2011 is worse in that the .dot file does not open where it does in V2010.

The Report Gen Toolkit version is what ever came with my V2010 and V2011 discs. Not sure where I can look to find a version number.

I did notice that there is not as rich a set of feature in the V2011 toolkit. The exampe would not run as is. I had to remove the Bring to Front vi as well as the express vi before it would run.

I am really more interested in making V2010 work as that is the version I need to use right now.

I am currently running the repair on V2011 as you suggested. Should be done around noon my time at the speed its moving. Was hoping to avoid this delay.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,345 Views)

Ok that sounds great. Running the repair will sort out errors which could have occurred during the installation as this is when the toolkit appears to have stopped working.

Could you open the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX), expand 'Devices and Interfaces,' then 'Software.'

Within the 'Software' tab check under LabVIEW 2011 and LabVIEW 2010 for the Report Generation Tool Kit. Please could you let me know if it appears under both LV2010 and LV2011, and what version each is running. This can be found by selecting the toolkit in MAX.

Let me know the above details and the effect of the LV2011 repair.

Regards,

Aaron. E
Dyson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,338 Views)

Looks like V2011 failed to install the report generation toolkit.I will try do an install of only the RGT.

However, V2010 is still not working.

I will be performing a repair on that one next unless you think there is something else to do first.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,330 Views)

Aaron,

I found that RGT did not load into V2011 upon the original installation, when I loaded it, it worked.

I tried to reload the RGT into V2010, however that did not work out.

I uninstalled both V2010 and V2011 and then reinstalled V2010. That did work and I now have RGT working once again.

Thanks for your help.

You may close this out.

Regards,

Chris

Message 6 of 7
(2,321 Views)

Hi Chris,

Sorry for my late response, I have been out the office.

I am glad you got it working and if you do require any further assistance with this issue or any related issue, feel free to get in touch,

Regards,

Aaron. E
Dyson
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,315 Views)