LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi monitoring with NI 9191

Hi everyone!

I'd like to monitor the WiFi signal strength of an ad-hoc network I create with the NI 9191 in my labview application.

Ive been trying to use the system information via the win32 API with no chance (not an expert in dll-s and so on). So I thought that there might be a more direct approach. Does anyone know about how can I access this information in the WiFi chassis itself? There must be a property node for that, right?

If not, has anyone done this before? Whats the best approach?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,652 Views)

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you can obtain "signal strength" (as in "Windows WifFi signal strength bars") using this command line spell:

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

You can parse the results to get the signal strength, see the attached example.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,627 Views)

Thanks for your answer.

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried. The problem with this solution is it doesnt update, unless I clicked the network flyout (Win10).

The networks are updated when a scan is completed by your WiFi card. The netsh command you are running does not request a scan, it only displays the cached results of the last scan. Opening the network flyout updates the results because the network flyout happens to request a scan when it first opens.

There is no netsh command to request a scan like this. You would have to write some code, leveraging either the Win32 WlanScan function (C# wrappers exist if you prefer that), or the WinRT ScanAsync function.

By the way, Im using LabView 2014 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,615 Views)