we have a WLS-9163 Wi-Fi wireless carrier with NI 9219 DAQ plugged in, we connect WLS-9163 with ethernet cable to a laptop, then we follow the instructions in the product manual for configurations set up. the problems we encountered as below:
1) WLS-9163 can be found in MAX if network cable is connected from the wireless carrier to thelaptop, but after wireless configuration set up complete( SSID added, ad hoc selected, other settings in MAX), unplug nework cable, WLS-9163 can not be found in MAX , anybody familiar with wireless configuration of WLS-9163 and knows how it can be detected in MAX if no network cable plugged in , is there any other settings we missed in the wireless configuration set up?
2) With network cable connected, WLS-9163 can be detected in MAX if only choose obtain IP address automatically in TCP/IP properties settings, if choose assigning static IP, WLS-9163 can not be detected, why?
thanks in advance.
From your explanations I conclude that you are trying to communicate via Ad-Hoc from your Computer to your WiFi DAQ. I do have experience for both Ad Hoc and Router configurations and I did not find any trouble with either two. Let me try to give you some suggestions below:
1. Have you created Ad-Hoc link and set a Static IP Address from your Computer that has same SSID name which you have assigned to your WiFi DAQ and configure it to broadcast the SSID? If yes, you should also assigned your WiFi DAQ to have the same SSID and also set the IP Address to have the same subnet with your Computer (which you have set before). If this has been done, once you apply the changes inside the WiFi DAQ, and remove your ethernet cable, your Computer should be connected to your WiFI DAQ via Wireless and you would be able to detect WiFi DAQ through MAX.
2. I assumes your second points, the problem may cause because you do not set both WiFi DAQ and Computer to have the same subnet, hence you could not detect it.
Have you checked and followed this article :http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7828 ?
Kindly update me if you have solved the problem or still facing the same problems.
Thanks a lot for your reply,Krisna. my wireless wi-fi still not on. more infor of my wired and wireless settings as below:
1) in local area network connection settings, I can only choose "obtain IP address automatically", if choose assign static IP, in MAX, my wi-fi device can not be detected.
2) in computer wireless network seetings, select "obtain IP address automatically ", "computer to computer (ad hoc) network", add SSID:NIWiFiDAQ, Open,WEP,etc. click OK. in
wireless availiable list, NiWiFiDAQ appears but displayed disconnected.
In MAX, wireless configuration, select "static", IP address:126.96.36.199. subnet:255.255.0.0. from SSID drop down menu, select NIWiFiDAQ. select "Ad Hoc", wireless
channel:11, save settings. then in wireless network available list displayed NIWiFiDAQ is connected. click refresh in MAX, "link status" of wireless and wired all display Up,
"system status" displayed Up as well. after unplug ethernet cable, click refresh, link status of wireless and wired all display Up, but "system status" displayed disconnected. in
wireless network available list in computer, NIWiFiDAQ still shows connected.
try assign static IP and set it's subnet the same as the one set for wi-fi in MAX wireless configuration, after unplug cable, wireless still display disconnected.
from above, we can see wreless configuration in MAX is unsucessful.
any more suggestions for this? what's wrong with the setting steps? appreciate to get reply as soon as possible.
I believe you miss one step. I could not conclude anything from your descriptions. Can you help me to attach the screenshots when you are trying to connect with the WiFi DAQ:
1. Computer IP setting, Control Panel>>Network Connections>>Local Area Connection
2. MAX WiFi wireless setting (when you configure using ethernet)
I will need to see your configurations before I can identify the problems. Kindly attach in this forum, you can use "Add Attachments" features.
Looking forward for your reply.
currently for me it's difficult to upload screenshot, I will try to upload tomorrow, I choose "obtain IP address automatically" in local area connection. if I choose static IP, Wi-Fi can not be detected in MAX. but with "obtain IP address automatically" settings, it shows "limited or no network connection" in my local area network, however, wi-fi can be detected in MAX with this settings. in MAX for wireless configuration, no special, similar as the settings in your screenshot. if I still can not solve the problem, I need to go local NI technical support for help. thanks.
may I know which step I missed?
wireless network setting and wireless configuration in MAX as attached.
first picture shows it was set "obtain IP address automatically" in wireless network connection.
second picture shows wireless configuration settings in MAX
third picture shows wi-fi wireless could not be detected after enthernet cable was unpluged.
the first shows local area connection is limited or no connection ( if choose "obtain IP address automatically" always shows in this way), and wireless is connected.
the second pic shows wireless of NIWiFiDAQ1 is connected in wireless network list
the third shows wired configuration in MAX
Thank you for providing the pictures. Now I am getting better understanding on what your situation is. In my network.jpg, it is shown that you already managed to be connected with the NIWiFiDAQ1, can you check what is the IP address? is is automatic setting? if Yes, make sure the IP setting like shown in Wireless network IP Auto.jpg, in General Tab to "use the following IP address" and fill in:
IP Address: 188.8.131.52
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
and also, make sure that in Alternate Configuration Tab, is set to become empty/automatic. Then click OK to apply the changes.
Wait until the NIWiFiDAQ1 to become connected again, restart MAX and refres the Network Devices. It should be detected. Please let me know about the results. Hope to hear from you soon!
I have tried what you recommended but it's setill the same, it shows wireless network is connected, once I unplug the ethernet cable, press F5 or refresh button in MAX,
the Wi-Fi can not be detected again, but in computer available wireless network list, it shows the wi-fi wireless is connected. once I plug in the ethernet cable, Wi-Fi can be
detected again in MAX. if I restart the laptop and open MAX, Wi-Fi can not be detected again in MAX, I need press the reset button in the Wi-Fi device and set everything again.
I had shown this problem with local NI support, they had checked all the settings and found nothing wrong in the settings. what they recommended was to buy a wireless router, and emphasized with a wireless router, the wi-fi wireless would be much much stable. and this problem should be settled.
Not sure, maybe I can try it. thanks for your helps.
Just one last check before I can comment further,
"I have tried what you recommended but it's setill the same, it shows wireless network is connected, once I unplug the ethernet cable, press F5refresh button in MAX, or the Wi-Fi can not be detected again, but in computer available wireless network list, it shows the wi-fi wireless is connected. once I plug in the ethernet cable, Wi-Fi can be detected again in MAX."
--> it is detected in MAX as "wired configuration" and not "wireless", that is why once you unplugged the ethernet cable, it is disappear from MAX. Please correct me if I am wrong. You mentioned above "but in computer available wireless network list, it shows the wi-fi wireless is connected", can you check when it is connected, it is connected to which SSID? what is the IP Address? it would be helpful if you give me the screenshots of the IP Address and the SSID.
I will be looking forward for your reply.