From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't a .net dll run in a standalone executable when it runs fine in the base vi?

Hi All,

I'm using a third party dll to talk to some external hardware using the LabView graphical interface.  When I run the VI everything works fine, however, when I build a standalone exectutable the dll does not run and the program immediately stops (presumably due to an error.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,504 Views)

@sbuxton wrote:

Hi All,

I'm using a third party dll to talk to some external hardware using the LabView graphical interface.  When I run the VI everything works fine, however, when I build a standalone exectutable the dll does not run and the program immediately stops (presumably due to an error.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Sean

Presumably the dll appears in the build folder when you build?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,485 Views)
What is the presumable error? That is the place to start.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,479 Views)

tyk007: Yes, the .dll appears in the build folder.

Mike:  The loop stops if there is an error or if the stop button is pressed.  Since the loop stops immediately there must be an error, but the error window does not pop up.

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,356 Views)

If you are wiring the error to another node (e.g. stop terminal) then you won't get an automatic error handling popup. Have you tried putting an error handler VI/popup in your code or logging the error to disk to see the code/description of the error?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,352 Views)

No.  I'll try that

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,344 Views)

Adding in the error handler I get:

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  End of file encountered.
=========================
NI-488:  Invalid argument or arguments to function call.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,340 Views)

Is it possible that the dll depends on some other dlls that LabVIEW does not know about?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,336 Views)

That solved it! Thanks everyone!

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,319 Views)

sbuxton: how did you solve your problem? I am having the same error and the DLL is included in the support directory of the compiled file and I am still getting the error.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,145 Views)