LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no DAQ Assistant in Labview 2010? I need it for my homework.

Why is there no DAQ Assistant button in Labview 2010? I need it for my homework. Is there similar button i can use? Help out.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(12,013 Views)

Did you install DAQmx? That is what you need for the DAQ Assistant.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(12,007 Views)

You need to install DAQmx after you install LabVIEW in order to have the drivers for that LabVIEW version installed (otherwise, how should the DAQmx installer know for which versions you will need them).

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(11,995 Views)

I also require access to the DAQ Assistant for project work.  I've spent the last 4-5 hours ploughing through the ni.com website, Help files (that don't really provide much help about this thread topic).  I'm not impressed with the NI help or documentation about this topic, in fact I'm not too impressed with LabView as a whole.

I looked at your response and don't think its correct.  Why would you need to download (a file that is over 1Gbyte !!!) as a driver for DAQ Assistant, this doesn't appear to be correct.  I've also tried contacting NI by telephone to no avail.  The email contact doesn't work.

Can anyone please explain, in plain, simple English (not NI help talk) how to get the DAQ Assistant working.

Message 4 of 16
(11,790 Views)

I can't speak to the contact by telephone or email, since you did not indicate what number you tried to use, and what email you tried to use. Were you emailing NI tech support directly?

I also don't know what you mean by not being impressed with the NI help or documentation about this topic, since you did not indicate what "this topic" you are referring to. Is it LabVIEW? DAQ Assistant? DAQmx?

As to your question, the answer is relatively simple: LabVIEW is a programming language. Like C. C doesn't come with libraries to do data acquisition. Neither does LabVIEW. If you want to do data acquisition in C then you install drivers and libraries. You do the same thing in LabVIEW.

Message 5 of 16
(11,781 Views)

You aren't impressed by 1 GB? Smiley Wink

Well, the installer supports multiple platforms, a lot of different devices and several different programming languages. You propably wont need it for your homework, but as a professional I have that installer on my USB thumbdrive.

Last time I had to install it, all was very simple: Install LabVIEW. Restart the PC. Install DAQ. Restart the PC. Start working. (ok, takes some time until all is finished, but I had some hardware stuff to fix as well).

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(11,771 Views)

bunnykins wrote:

I looked at your response and don't think its correct.  Why would you need to download (a file that is over 1Gbyte !!!) as a driver for DAQ Assistant, this doesn't appear to be correct.

The correct answer is to install DaqMX and this answer can be found all over the NI site.

I don't understand your circular conclusion: First you don't think its correct therefore it does not appear to be correct. Did you actually install the drivers and verified the (in)correctness of your assumptions? What kind of problems did you encounter that led you to the conclusion that installing the drivers is not the solution?

@bunnykins wrote:

I'm not impressed with the NI help or documentation about this topic, in fact I'm not too impressed with LabView as a whole.

Please provide constructive feedback. What would it take to impress you? For how long have you used LabVIEW?

bunnykins wrote:

I've also tried contacting NI by telephone to no avail.  The email contact doesn't work.

What is "no avail"?

(phone number disconnected? No support contract? outside business hours? Friendly NI guy tells you to install daqMX which you "know" is the wrong answer?, etc.).

What is "does not work"?

(unknown recipient? No instant reply (how long did you wait? after all we had a weekend), wrong reply, reply in "NI help talk" that you don't seem to understand? etc..)

bunnykins wrote:

Can anyone please explain, in plain, simple English (not NI help talk) how to get the DAQ Assistant working.

Sorry to fall back to "NI help talk", but as others have already pointed out: Install the drivers!!!!

Message 7 of 16
(11,750 Views)

By the way, not impressed? Check this one.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(11,733 Views)

Check out the time lines!

DUD7811 received the correct answer in 4 Minutes after posting the question at 12AM

Bunnykins received the correct answer in 7 minutes! I can't even drink a beer that fast! (well if Im in a hurry I can, but im just saying)

Good work guys.

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(11,708 Views)

Are you having a homework asignment on measureing the speed of board replys here?

Well keeps you busy and not doing some real hacking...

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(11,697 Views)