LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is for LabVIEW 6.1 a Servicepack not available ???

There are so many small bugs and, i'm sure, a lot of them are already fixed by NI internaly!
But why is a Servicepack or a Patch not available?

Should i (=developing with LV6.1) say to my customer:"Sorry this is a little bug in LabVIEW but it will NEVER be fixed?"

Next week LabVIEW 7 will be released and the run on new bugs will start over.
Will the customer PAY for the bugfix/update?

i don't know...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,231 Views)
I know that dealing with bugs in a development environment can be frustrating. However, say what you will about NI's responsiveness to bugs (and goodness knows from time to time I have), the fact of the matter is that V6.02 and V6.1 are both very stable.

If you want to not get bit by new bugs in V7 one of the easiest ways to avoid problems is not use new features (like the event structure in 6.1) in deliverable code until you've had the opportunity to check it out for yourself. The event structure is a good example for this discussion because the fact of the matter is that it doesn't allow you to do anything new--it just makes it easier to implement certain functionality. In other words, you have a good viable fallback position if the new bell or whistle doesn't work in your application.

In addition, there's no law that says you have to upgrade right away. You can always stick with the old version for a few months to see how V7 works out.

But to address your basic question, NI does release patches or service packs when the situation warrants. Why do you think there's a V6.02? Or the latest version of V5, what is it 5.1.1f or something like that? There isn't a patch out on V6.1 because there aren't any problems significant enough to justify the effort and expense.

Most importantly though, is that if you have to try and explain bugs to customers it means you haven't done your job right. There's an old saying that applies to programming as well as it does to woodworking: "A poor worker blames his tools."

Your task is to create applications that satisfy requirements. If one approach doesn't work, find a workaround. The bottom line is that most customers don't really give a flying fig what their application is written in. They are buying functionality. Yes, it stinks to not have something work, but so what? That (as they say) is life in the big city.

V6.1 isn't perfect, but even with workarounds, the development of a LV application takes significantly less time and is immeasurably less painful than doing the same work in C, BASIC, Pascal, Ada or any other language you can mention.

Finally, I'm not sure what exactly that you are complaining about. Since November of last year, when you joined the group, you have posted exactly **one** question--for which you got answers from a couple different people. If you have problems let us know what they are and we will help. Otherwise don't waste our time dumping on us.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 3
(2,231 Views)
"mikeporter" wrote in message
news:5065000000050000000BF40000-1042324653000@exchange.ni.com...
> snip
>
> V6.1 isn't perfect, but even with workarounds, the development of a
> LV application takes significantly less time and is immeasurably less
> painful than doing the same work in C, BASIC, Pascal, Ada or any other
> language you can mention.

Have you worked in all these languages, and even in those that aren't
mentioned, what permits you to assert something such extreme? And if it's
"immeasurably", how do you know how it's really is? Do you still remember
the words of the philosopher who said that the science _starts_ with the
measurement?

> Finally, I'm not sure what exactly that you are complaining about.
> Since November of last ye
ar, when you joined the group, you have
> posted exactly **one** question--for which you got answers from a
> couple different people. If you have problems let us know what they
> are and we will help. Otherwise don't waste our time dumping on us.
>
> Mike...

I wonder how relevant is it, how many questions somebody asked earlier? And
if somebody has got answers from different people, what does it mean? Isn't
this something of positive, friendly, and in the same time inviting?

I think that everyone should rather speak in his own name, and not in the
name of a whole ng. Some will always disagree (true also for this posting).

The responsibility to manage its own time is personal. It shouldn't be a big
problem, because it's so easy to ignore posting that are considered of lower
interest.

IMO, people shouldn't be discouraged to express opinions and/or to ask
questions here, as long as they stay on topic and they are at least
moderately polite.

Victor
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,231 Views)