LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't DIAdem VIs and DAQmx VIs install when upgrading?

Hi all,

I'm on my third upgrade of the Developer Suite with DIAdem.  Every time I install a new version, I have to manually reinstall both the DIAdem connectivity VIs and the DAQmx VI library.  Am I missing a step in the install?  This is tripling the amount of time it takes to upgrade and introduces more opportunities for me to mess something up...overall not fun.

Thanks.

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,224 Views)

What do you mean by manually reinstall?  So for me here is how it works.

New developer suite DVD packs come in for 2014.  Put in DVD 1, pick my products to be installed which include LabVIEW, DIAdem, TestStand etc.

The install goes and installs all the products I picked, then at the end it asks for device drivers to install.  DAQmx is picked by default so I tell it to install and it finishes.

At the end of this I have the newest LabVIEW, with the newest drivers.  The only interaction I have is at the start saying what products to install, and at the end saying what drivers to install.  Sure this could be more stream lined to ask about drivers up front but overall the process works.  It knows it needs to install LabVIEW before the other tools so it does.  And it knows it needs to install drivers after LabVIEW so it does.  If you are installing things one at a time, and in your own order I could see where problems could happen.

EDIT:  Oh and I forgot the other interaction for swapping DVDs mid install.  But what I do is merge all DVDs into a single folder on the network so it doesn't prompt for DVD swapping.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,221 Views)

My experience is the same except it doesn't prompt to install drivers.  Have to do that separately.  The DAQmx VIs don't seem to come with that for some reason.  The DIAdem connectivity VIs never get installed from the dvds.  I have to get them from here every time:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8F62D3BA9DDB9E838625777D0072E06A?OpenDocument

I also have to manually reinstall all user VIs such as OpenGlib and any custom user VIs.

CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,205 Views)

Leverage VIPM if  you can.  We have all of our internal reuse library, quick drop functions, custom INI settings, custom glyphs, OpenG, and toolkits like that which don't have an installer, wrapped up into a single VIPC file that contains all the needed files, and can be installed offline.  After installing LabVIEW, and any official toolkits, we double click the VIPC file, and have VIPM install the rest.

Message 4 of 5
(2,200 Views)

I'd say you are doing something wrong with the initial setup of the Developer Suite prompts.  Are you deselecting the drivers from the huge list of things to install?

Everything else you are mentioning are add-ons that can be installed on a per LabVIEW install.  As Hooovah stated, use VIPM where possible.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 5
(2,192 Views)