LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the startup screen in Labview 8.6 take a long time to open when my computer is connected to the LAN network?

This started after I installed the new software.  I did not have this issue with Labview 8.5.1.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,883 Views)

My guess would be while you are online, when LabVIEW is starting up, it is starting several NI services.

This could be what makes startup a little slow, but that is just a guess.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,880 Views)
Have you installed any new modules or toolkits (Real Time, FPGA...)?
Joshua B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,853 Views)

I haven't installed anything other than the new software.  And by "a long time to open" I mean seven minutes.  I don't believe this is an exceptable startup time, when it only takes fifteen seconds when I'm not connected to the network.

Does the new software try to connect to some remote server doing startup?  Either way shouldn't there be some kind of timeout?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,809 Views)

Do you have a firewall running? It could be that some of LabVIEW's services are connecting and others are not due to blocked ports. Check out Knowledge Base

2GD9CL6Q What Ports Do I Need to Open on My Firewall for National Instruments Software Products at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CEF5A3568A5DA71D8625732800520EA1?OpenDocument.

Joshua B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,784 Views)

Was this issue ever resolved? 

I am seeing the same thing with 8.5.1.  If the network is disconnected Labview starts up right away.  If the network is connected Labview opens, but it takes 30 seconds to do simple things like create a new string constant on the block diagram or creating new VIs. 

After 15 minutes this behavior goes away and Laview operates at normal speeds. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,639 Views)

Examples and the icon library are accessed on NI's web-site when first start-up.

If the mahcine was upgraded from an eralier version check MAX to ensure there aren't any network widgets (FP cRIO etc) configured that are not there anymore.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,636 Views)

Thanks for such a quick response Ben.  Is there a way to prevent (for now) the loading of the icon library and examples from loading at startup?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,624 Views)

This link may help rule out the NI Service Locator as the issue.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,616 Views)

OK problem solved.

In the "paths" section of Tool>Options there are two directories that point to "my documents", the "temporary directory" and the "default data directory".  So what's the problem?  At my work the "my documents" folder is mapped to the company network instead of my local machine.  Again, so what's the problem?  Well I'm located in San Diego and the server that holds "my documents" is located in Ohio.

Once I changed those two directories so that they point towards a folder this side of the rocky mountains everything started working as usual. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,566 Views)